Skirt-less '40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirt-less '40

i was going to do a poll: skirts or no skirts. however looking at the pics, she'll remain skirtless...

any comments pro or con welcomed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0396.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1733042Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0388.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1733043
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

I that I like the Champ better skirtless. I do favor the Commander and Presidents with skirts.

Ken

Comment

Skirts for formal occasions.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The tear drop skirts look better, there are a pair on ebay. The shirts on the Champion pictured appear to be for the Pres/Comm '42 Skyway series.

Comment

I wrestled with that decision on my '41 Champion Coupe Delivery and decided to go with the skirts. I think they look a little better on the coupes but this is a matter of personal preference. And after all they are easy to put on and take off. I even suggested to a friend that it would be an interesting experiment to install the skirts on one side while leaving the other skirt-less since both sides cannot be viewed at the same time anyway! That way you could schedule your viewing pleasure for one side or the other depending on your mood. For what it may be worth Studebaker did not offer fender skirts on any of their models in 1940 but they did in 1941. Those available on the '41 Champions were of the flared type. Those shown on my '41 (above) were actually an option for the 1942 Champions though they would also fit the '41 and '46 since the fenders were the same on all three model years. On the 1941 and 1942 Commander and President Skyway (top of the line) series they were standard equipment.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

I even suggested to a friend that it would be an interesting experiment to install the skirts on one side while leaving the other skirt-less since both sides cannot be viewed at the same time anyway! That way you could schedule your viewing pleasure for one side or the other depending on your mood. For what it may be worth Studebaker did not offer fender skirts on any of their models in 1940 but they did in 1941. Those available on the '41 Champions were of the flared type. Those shown on my '41 (above) were actually an option for the 1942 Champions though they would also fit the '41 and '46 since the fenders were the same on all three model years. On the 1941 and 1942 Commander and President Skyway (top of the line) series they were standard equipment.
            i thought about one off - one on at a car show i plan on attending april 1 & 2...

nice to know the skirts were not an option on the 1940 model - makes it easier should i decide to sell them...

Comment

I don't think the skirt for the Commander or President will fit the Champion. The skirts are larger on the bigger cars. I have 2 sets of the larger skirts if any one is interested. I bought them for a 42 Champion coupe I had and they didn't fit.
              Klif
              55 Speedster/Street Machine
              63 Avanti R2
              64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                I don't think the skirt for the Commander or President will fit the Champion. The skirts are larger on the bigger cars. I have 2 sets of the larger skirts if any one is interested. I bought them for a 42 Champion coupe I had and they didn't fit.
                Klif
                You are correct, the skirts for the Commander/President are quite diffeerent in dimensions than the Champions.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

FWIW, the dimensions are 18 3/4" tall and 32 1/2" wide (34" counting hardware)... they overlap a bit on the Champion fenders.
                  haven't cleaned them up yet...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0397.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1667212Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0398.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1667213

Comment

I don't think Studebaker used a lever mount like that. They could be Foxcraft ? Most early Studebaker skirts screwed on.
                    Klif
                    55 Speedster/Street Machine
                    63 Avanti R2
                    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X