Clutch adjustment on '40 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch adjustment on '40 Champion

the clutch engages about 1 1/2" from the top end of pedal. is there an adjustment to move the engagement closer to the floor? it's got about 3/4" free play at the top.

the reason for this is since my knee replacement i can't bend it enough to use the clutch without "mucho" pain.

i suppose the other alternative would be to move the front seat back a few inches, but would rather not drill new holes, etc...

the last clutch i adjusted was in 1973 on my '68 datsun roadster 2000... so it's been awhile...

Thanks in advance...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Yes, you can adjust it to engage closer to the floor, however, you may not have enough travel to fully release if you do. I let my wife drive most of the time. (that way I can be on the look out for more old cars!)
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

i'll give it a try - it doesn't start to engage until it's about 2 1/2" from the top...

looking at the service manual, it shows how to adjust free play - would this be what i should move?

Comment

My 41 Champion 2 door came with 3 sets of seat mounting holes in order so that the seat assy. could be moved back or forward whatever the case may be. So there is additional adjustment besides the sliding track.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
          i'll give it a try - it doesn't start to engage until it's about 2 1/2" from the top...

looking at the service manual, it shows how to adjust free play - would this be what i should move?

YES, that is the only clutch adjustment that you have. You will have to vary (increase) from the recommended free travel to get release closer to the floor, so don't overdo it, or as Bez says you will not be able to fully release the clutch.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
            My 41 Champion 2 door came with 3 sets of seat mounting holes in order so that the seat assy. could be moved back or forward whatever the case may be. So there is additional adjustment besides the sliding track.
            that would solve more than just the clutch! it feels like the car was set up for a shorter person than i... i'll check it out.
            thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
            X