AD Transmission interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Transmission interchange

Does anyone know if a 57 Golden Hawk AD transmission can be installed on a 63 GT Hawk. I'm having unidenfied trouble with the rebuilt 63 transmisison (low and high not working, reverse is working ok) and have a extra rebuilt 57 GH tranny that, if compatible, could be installed on the 63GT. The labels on both trannys are obliterated but the 57 has traces of white color and has#60374; the 63 has traces of red color on the label and#1544019. Not sure color of labels is sifnificant or not but provided it anyway. The 63 tranny was taken apart by the rebuilder but he coud not find anything obviously wrong. Any input would be appreciated. Ken, Deltaville, Va

If that is the original tranny from the '57 Golden Hawk, it would be a short tailshaft trans that was used in conjunction with a 2-piece driveshaft. Stude went to the long tailshaft/single piece driveshaft starting in '58.

While I suppose a short tailshaft tranny can be made to work in a '63 GT if you installed the center crossmember for the 2-piece driveshaft, it would seem to be more trouble than it would be worth IMHO.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It's a shame the rebuilder didn't get it right but I would imagine there are several reputable vendors with the right trans for your 63 GT that would have a good working trans for a reasonable price.
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        If that is the original tranny from the '57 Golden Hawk, it would be a short tailshaft trans that was used in conjunction with a 2-piece driveshaft. Stude went to the long tailshaft/single piece driveshaft starting in '58.

While I suppose a short tailshaft tranny can be made to work in a '63 GT if you installed the center crossmember for the 2-piece driveshaft, it would seem to be more trouble than it would be worth IMHO.
        Thanks, I forgot to add that the 57 GH that it came out of had been converted to a single shaft. The extra tranny that I refered to does have long tail shaft and it has the connections for fluid lines to the radiator. I agree short tailshaft would be more trouble than it was worth. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
          It's a shame the rebuilder didn't get it right but I would imagine there are several reputable vendors with the right trans for your 63 GT that would have a good working trans for a reasonable price.
          john, thanks, I agree however, most ot the rebuilters in any reasonalbe distance are more in the "exchange" rather than "rebuilding" business. The person who rebuilt this one is an experienced Ford tranny guy and has rebuilt 4 or 5 other trannys for meon the side with no problem. The usual respoce that I got from transmissin places is what is a Studebaker. Ken
          Last edited by ken-renda; 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

There should be NO reason that someone capable of rebuilding one of these, could not go back in and FIND his mistakes! It only can be so many things with that condition, like FORWARD band adjustment, incorrect valve body assembly etc. Get a bigger stick, and MAKE HIM FIX IT!

Also, I have heard that sometimes after a rebuild, it takes running the car on a hoist to spin it up through the gears to free it up or remove air in the system or something to make it shift. There are posts here that explain it better than I can remember it.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X