Why is this Hawk going for $18,000 +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this Hawk going for $18,000 +

Can someone help me out here? I mean, this is a nice car and all, but $18,000? Is the the stick shift and bucket seats?

Originally posted by stevo5671 View Post
    Can someone help me out here? I mean, this is a nice car and all, but $18,000? Is the the stick shift and bucket seats?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-...item1e6155ca16

In a nutshell, yes. It's also the most valuable finned Studebaker Hawk other than the Golden's.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes the fact that it probably IS a Serialized [unofficial] "GT" Hawk 4 speed, with a 4 Brl. & Factory Tach. DOES add to it's value, that and the nicely re-done Interior with Buckets.

The negative is: the wrong Color Fin stripe, non-Original Color repaint, and Color Change from Flamingo, but it is in very Original looking condition otherwise.

Whether it has quite a $18,000.00 Plus Value, is a bit doubtful however, it would SELL at half that.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Yes the fact that it probably IS a Serialized [unofficial] "GT" Hawk 4 speed, with a 4 Brl. & Factory Tach. DOES add to it's value, that and the nicely re-done Interior with Buckets.

The negative is: the wrong Color Fin stripe, non-Original Color repaint, and Color Change from Flamingo, but it is in very Original looking condition otherwise.

Whether it has quite a $18,000.00 Plus Value, is a bit doubtful however, it would SELL at half that.
        It did sell for 18.1K, so that was the value to the high bidder.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I see that e***m REALLY wanted that car, he bid it from $3200.00 all the way to $18000.00 and STILL got beat by $100.00 (or maybe more)! YIKES! That's all it takes is 2, maybe not as knowledgeable as some, Bidders!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't dismiss the possibility it was the owner shill-bidding it hoping to lure someone in and outsmarting themselves. It does happen.

I'm with Rich, based on comparables that's about double or more what comparables have been doing, especially considering the seller said "THERE CERTAINLY IS LOTS OF ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT". I just plain don't believe it legitimately sold for $18K.
            Last edited by Bob Andrews; 02-09-2011, 02:31 AM.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Don't dismiss the possibility it was the owner shill-bidding it hoping to lure someone in and outsmarting themselves. It does happen.

I'm with Rich, based on comparables that's about double or more what comparables have been doing, especially considering the seller said "THERE CERTAINLY IS LOTS OF ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT". I just plain don't believe it legitimately sold for $18K.
              As Captain Renault said in "Casablanca":
              I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

I disagree. The car had some minor issues, but well worth the final bid. As to "shill" bidding, it looks like a lot of bids to find the 18K reserve, than one winning bid $100 higher at the end. You simple can't buy and restore a fin Hawk to that level for anything approaching 18K. As to the other comment that it's worth half the high bid, what color is the sky in that world.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

How about the guy who dosn't have the ability or time to restore a $6,000 to $8,000 restorable hawk but wants a nice car ? Paint jobs are running to $10,000 much less the hrs. for detail, chrome , mechincal, and body work. $18,000 dosn't sound so bad to me.
                  Klif
                  55 Speedster/Street Machine
                  63 Avanti R2
                  64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                    How about the guy who dosn't have the ability or time to restore a $6,000 to $8,000 restorable hawk but wants a nice car ? Paint jobs are running to $10,000 much less the hrs. for detail, chrome , mechincal, and body work. $18,000 dosn't sound so bad to me.
                    Klif
                    Yep, it's all relative. Certainly, my R2 GT was worth the 35K it sold for when you consider the 60K spent on a trailer queen restoration. On the other hand, that's silly money if you are looking for a 15K R2, GT Hawk driver BTW, the paint and body work on that rust and dent free example was 11K, but that was way over done. (over 125 hours of labor.)
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

It's a lot like real estate. You and I may not think it was worth 18K, but the market did! It also helps set the bar for the next like hawk. That's not all bad either.

Dick
                      Mountain Home, AR
                      http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

I don't get it either, but it seems like people are getting crazier and crazier as time goes on with what they're willing to pay for cars. I do agree with the idea that part of the explanation might be the increasing cost of restoration. Unfortunately, I am one of the fools who still spends his time and money restoring Studebakers, when the truth is that the only people benefiting are those who sell parts and labor. I also think it's time to give it up, because I want to get behind the wheel and DRIVE Studebakers before gasoline becomes truly unaffordable -- thanks to our well-considered decision to accelerate the depletion of oil supplies by facilitating the creation of Western-style Chinese and Indian Happy Motoring economies. Really bright move, that one. But I digress!

Comment

No one sale defines the market..only what "one" buyer is willing to pay at "one" time.......There should be a bunch of finned Hawks out of the woodwork soon...then we can take an average of them and find a better value. I say this happily due to the fact that I sold a nice ragtop a few years back for decent dough.......there have been several on eBay since then garnering about 1/2 the cabbage....

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, reality is kicking in. Due to age, this may be the last one I do from the ground up. Knowing what it costs in time and money to do it myself, I'd expect that range for the right car.

Comment

Ya'll ever consider the possibility that Studebaker in gerneral, and Hawks and possibly some Larks in particular, might just be the next "Sweetheart cars" t hat the general public goes ga-ga over? Think about it for a second..

Comment

Working...
                              X