Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who made the differential for Studebaker pickups in 1950?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who made the differential for Studebaker pickups in 1950?

Trying to find a gear set to make my pickup more road worthy. Anyone know who made the rear ends in 1950?

Studebaker bought them from Dana-Spicer. Someone here should know the model of Dana used, as well as the donor vehicles to try.

Comment

Trying to find a gear set to make my pickup more road worthy. Anyone know who made the rear ends in 1950?
      Studebaker bought them from Dana-Spicer.
      Yes, for the 1/2 ton. Any 1/2t through '55 will interchange. Most 4WD shops build a Dana every day. They have the gears, limited slip, bearings and seals. Just bring money.

No, for the 3/4t and 1t, they are from Timken.

Maybe, In a technical discussion, terminology is everything. Helps to begin with your model number. Next, what transmission? If a 3-speed or 4--speed, going to an overdrive is the easy answer.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I got a set from a Off Road business here in Tulsa.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
          I got a set from a Off Road business here in Tulsa.
          I have family in Tahlequah. Do you still have all the info, and what ratio did you go with? I do have overdrive, but with 4:82 ratio, it's still going to scream on the interstate.

Comment

I have a few 1/2 tn rear ends in stock. If you have a 3/4 tn, it would be good to retrofit a later model or brand X rear end into your truck unless you can find some highway gears for your old Timken rear end.

Comment

No I don't it was a couple of years back. But I am sure Lester Gear in Tulsa could help. You could call Lester Gear Front wheel Shop they have a lot of rear end parts and can order them. If I remember right it was something like a 4-10 gears. The pick up we put it in was a big 6 3 speed overdrive. It run out real good.

Comment

Actually, the 4.82 ratio in the Dana rear end works very well with overdrive and your Champ 6 engine. The 0.7 overdrive gives you a net 3.37:1. With 31" diameter tires (6.50-16 or LT215/85R16 with rolling radius 14.3") you'll be going 68 mph at 2500-2700 rpm. The engine doesn't have enough torque to cruise at 1500-2000 rpm like modern cars. By late 1950, you could have a Dana 44 rear end with 4.89 ratio (s/n R5-65,214 and higher). If your serial number is lower, then you have a Dana 41 - and there aren't many alternate gear sets available because the carrier needs to be changed, too. You can see a 41 or 44 cast into the housing (lower right side on back).

Have you driven it with the overdrive working?
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                  Actually, the 4.82 ratio in the Dana rear end works very well with overdrive and your Champ 6 engine. The 0.7 overdrive gives you a net 3.37:1. With 31" diameter tires (6.50-16 or LT215/85R16 with rolling radius 14.3") you'll be going 68 mph at 2500-2700 rpm. The engine doesn't have enough torque to cruise at 1500-2000 rpm like modern cars. By late 1950, you could have a Dana 44 rear end with 4.89 ratio (s/n R5-65,214 and higher). If your serial number is lower, then you have a Dana 41 - and there aren't many alternate gear sets available because the carrier needs to be changed, too. You can see a 41 or 44 cast into the housing (lower right side on back).

Have you driven it with the overdrive working?
                  I haven't yet. I guess I'll try it 1st.

Comment

hi pushrod, give teejay a call in Bagley. 218 766 3136

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                      I have a few 1/2 tn rear ends in stock. If you have a 3/4 tn, it would be good to retrofit a later model or brand X rear end into your truck unless you can find some highway gears for your old Timken rear end.
                      Hi I'm looking for a rear end in the area of 373 gears for use in my 39 CE. I will be using it appears, a 259 stude so it will not have to be super strong. I would like to upgrade the brakes seriously and get TT if possible. have anything?

Tom Walgamuth
                      76five 49zero 02seven5
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                      X