Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any history on 1963 Avanti R1 VIN 63R2032...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any history on 1963 Avanti R1 VIN 63R2032...?

If so, I sure appreciate hearing from you. It's supposedly been off the road for 25-26 years. Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

It was owned by Ray A. Truett Rt. 6 Box 178-C Durham NC 27703 in 1977.

Comment

[QUOTE=Alan;524365]It was owned by Ray A. Truett Rt. 6 Box 178-C Durham NC 27703 in 1977.[/QUOTE

Not to be a pain, but I am looking for R-2837, a gold R1 with Powershift, for the original owner. It's not listed on an AOAI roster now, sadly. Might it be in the roster you're looking at?

Thanking you in advance!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Thanks very much! That's good info. The car shows 96k miles. Supposedly it was running when parked in the mid-80's. But now the R1 engine is frozen up. Don't know what can be done with an engine that sat that long....

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Posted by edpjr
          Don't know what can be done with an engine that sat that long....
          Depends on too many variables to know. If you're lucky it's been stored in an inside dry environment and was an oil burner, so the cylinders were lubed with little rust. A good cylinder oiling and a large wrench on the crank may get it to turn. If you are not lucky, a rusty mess that will need the pistons busted out of it and a complete machining and rebuild.

In either case, it probably needs a significant amount of parts and rebuilding. But you already know about that.

I hope it's good luck.

Bob

Comment

But now the R1 engine is frozen up. Don't know what can be done with an engine that sat that long...
            Most everyone here will have more than one story of a Stude V8 which sat for years and was driven away.

Depends on too many variables to know
            . The humid south is harder on sitting cars than the dry intermountain west.

A search will turn up a dozen threads about resurrecting a dormant engine.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for all the info gentleman. My brother and I are planning to go take a look at the car next week. Supposedly it was kept in a garage environment all those years. Then five years ago a fellow bought it with intent to do frame off restoration. But like many folks, he lost interest in the project among many other life issues. The car is disassembled. It's gold in color. And I'm told the body, frame and hog troughs are solid. It has the factory A/C option, but I can imagine that system has dried completely out and may be irreparable. Like I said before, it's an R1 auto trans. One big concern is that the original seats are currently missing, but may still be with the previous owner. Apparently part of the grandiose plan was a new custom interior... Even if it's not restorable, there may be lot of usable original parts left.
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                Thanks for all the info gentleman. My brother and I are planning to go take a look at the car next week. Supposedly it was kept in a garage environment all those years. Then five years ago a fellow bought it with intent to do frame off restoration. But like many folks, he lost interest in the project among many other life issues. The car is disassembled. It's gold in color. And I'm told the body, frame and hog troughs are solid. It has the factory A/C option, but I can imagine that system has dried completely out and may be irreparable. Like I said before, it's an R1 auto trans. One big concern is that the original seats are currently missing, but may still be with the previous owner. Apparently part of the grandiose plan was a new custom interior... Even if it's not restorable, there may be lot of usable original parts left.
                I have seats in California if needed.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I don't remember Truett having this car in the early 80s when I first met him. But then, it seemed like half the Studebakers in North Carolina in the '70s/80s passed thru Truett's ownership one way or another!
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Indeed. He was frequently mentioned by the late HT Woody back in the 70s.

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                    I don't remember Truett having this car in the early 80s when I first met him. But then, it seemed like half the Studebakers in North Carolina in the '70s/80s passed thru Truett's ownership one way or another!
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

Comment

Thanks. If we elect to get this monster, may well need them.

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                      I have seats in California if needed.
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

Bill, Sorry to say but my 77 Roster goes from 2831 then next is 2839

Comment

I appreciate your looking, Alan (sigh!).
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

I have a low mileage R1 for sale if needed

Comment

Alan, would it be too much to ask who owned my Avanti 63R2333 in 1977? Thanks!

edp/NC
                              \'63 Avanti
                              \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X