stude brochures 1920s-which year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stude brochures 1920s-which year?

I found these items at my local swap meet today. I got seven cards (probably not a complete set). I reacognize that they are pre-1927. Can someone narrow it down more precisely? They are 6 3.75" * 9.5" Do they date to 1924-25? Wasn't there a period when Studebaker resisted releasing new models every year?

Last edited by Lothar; 02-05-2011, 11:38 PM.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

That is a 1925-26 Special Six Model EQ. Studebaker started production of this series in August 1924 and continued thru 1926 with only minor alterations. The only feature that distinguished the 1925 from the '26 on the Special Six was the windshield visor. The one you show in the card above has the later version visor so the series of cards you have show are likely from 1926. The other two cars in the line-up at that time were the Big Six model EP and the smaller Standard Six model ER. There was also a series of advertising cards for these two models. All were originally contained in a slip cover. I believe I have all the models and body styles for all three series. You are correct that Studebaker downplayed the arbitrary use of model years during this era. This announcement was made in April 1926 and carried prominently in Studebaker advertising at the time. There logical explanation is below. They continued this practice until the 1932 model year.

Studebaker motor cars are kept up to date by constant improvement instead of by exploitation of yearly models. Betterments of a mechanical nature are incorporated in the chassis as soon as the Manufacturing Department has approved them. They are not saved up for a yearly model. Conversely, there is no occasion to rush a change of design into production without adequate tests in order that it may be featured in an annual announcement. Once an improvement in design is approved it is put into production forthwith, whether the month be May or October. Thus you may buy a Studebaker at any time of the year with confidence that no improvements are being held back for the next yearly model. Studebaker neither announces annual models nor does it stress in its advertising the changes which are made from time to time.
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Quinn, I figured you would know the details. Speaking of details, the description of this car refers to an "auxiliary seat for the fourth passenger, folds under the dash when not in use." Not having seen one of these cars, I'm not sure what is meant. Are they referring to the front passenger seat? Was it a rear facing seat?
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

Exactly. The normal front passenger bucket seat hinged forward so as to fold toward the firewall to provide easy access to the two seats in the rear. It could be easily repositioned to form a seat for the "navigator." An unusual arrangement to be sure and I suspect this particular body style was one of the lower production.
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Would that be the same seating arrangement as in this '29 President?

Comment

Indeed it would.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
            X