Clutch linkage questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch linkage questions

I have a 58 hawk as you can tell from my username that currently has an automatic transmission. I have a stude t-10 and accompanying bellhousing. I need to get the linkages together for the clutch and have a chance at taking them off of a 3-speed OD 1960 Hawk. What will and will not work from the 3-speed car to the 4-speed? There is also a 1954 with a 3-speed OD as well which I can make an offer on some parts from that if anyone is needing anything. Both cars are in sad shape sheet metal wise and are both pretty much base models but if anyone needs something let me know and I will make one offer for parts from the guy that has them.

Thanks for the help

MOST of the '60 Hawk Clutch linkage from the shaft and forks inside of the Bell Housing to the Pedal should work. The problem you will have is finding the 4 speed clutch cross shaft SUPPORT that bolts under the Trans. those are rarer than hens teeth!

Not much of the '54 Parts can be used, it has the early style Pedals etc.

I am doing this from memory, so a verification is necessary by simply comparing the part numbers (not picture numbers) of all of the C & K model linkage parts in the '55 to '58 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, to the same in the '59-'64 Book.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have the 59-64 book since up till now I haven't really needed it. I would love to see a scan of the page with the "clutch cross shaft support" that you are talking about so that I can wrap my head around what all I need that I won't be able to get from the '60. Anyone have a scan of the clutch page or at least some pictures?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk1958 View Post
        I have a 58 hawk as you can tell from my username that currently has an automatic transmission. I have a stude t-10 and accompanying bellhousing. I need to get the linkages together for the clutch and have a chance at taking them off of a 3-speed OD 1960 Hawk. What will and will not work from the 3-speed car to the 4-speed? There is also a 1954 with a 3-speed OD as well which I can make an offer on some parts from that if anyone is needing anything. Both cars are in sad shape sheet metal wise and are both pretty much base models but if anyone needs something let me know and I will make one offer for parts from the guy that has them.

Thanks for the help
        Hey Silverhawk..I can't help you much on this, but it's good to know another local Studebaker guy...maybe I know you already...send me a PM if ya want
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

C & K Clutch Linkage

Here is some info for you from both the '59-'64 Shop Manual & the Chassis Parts Catalog:

It's a 1539391 Bracket, it appears that they forgot to picture code the part Number! It should have been 19F.
          Sorry, that is the best I could do in one hour of saving from the CD to my Computer, Printing, Scanning, Saving to Photobucket, Posting to Forum.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hey, I figured that was pretty impressive doings in an hour. Thanks for the post I'll probably try and get the manual off of ebay here in the next few weeks but that info you posted leads me to think that if I can't find the right one it is something that I could fabricate at work with a few dimensions, or modify one from another vehicle to work. If any one has an actual photo or experience of modifying another, more available part to work, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the info StudeRich

Ron-good to hear from someone in the area. Maybe we can get together sometime. I hope to be getting some parts off these cars in the next few weekends. If you want PM me, I'de love to have some company while I turn a wrench on them.

Comment

SilverHawk, if you look back at the pages that were posted, you'll see that there are at least 6 different styles of shaft support brackets. If you have any one of those, its not difficult to make it work on your application. Grind off the rivets that hold the flexible steel plate with the shaft support on it, then make your own 1/4 inch steel brace to mount under your transmission. Then you can locate it where you need it. Just bolt the shaft support to the brace you made. I've had to make two of these. One for a T-85 3 speed and one for a T-10 4 speed. Good luck.
              sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                SilverHawk, if you look back at the pages that were posted, you'll see that there are at least 6 different styles of shaft support brackets. If you have any one of those, its not difficult to make it work on your application. Grind off the rivets that hold the flexible steel plate with the shaft support on it, then make your own 1/4 inch steel brace to mount under your transmission. Then you can locate it where you need it. Just bolt the shaft support to the brace you made. I've had to make two of these. One for a T-85 3 speed and one for a T-10 4 speed. Good luck.
                That is exactly what I was thinking it looked like. We have a full shop at work and can punch and bend 1/4" material without a problem so I should be able to accomplish this fairly easily. Thanks for the confirmation!

Comment

Hey Matt,
                  did you get my PM? When are you going to strip these cars?
                  Ron
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Matt,
                    If I knew which part you needed, I may have one. I still have a couple of boxes of used parts that I picked up and I'm pretty sure there are some clutch linkage parts in them. If you can come up with the correct picture, I'll start looking.
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1958 Commander "Christine"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

@Ron. Yup got your message. I'm still trying to work the deal out with the guy money wise, hopefully a deal can be reached and I can out there not this coming weekend but the next. I'll let you know once I have something firm or if it falls through completely. Wish me luck!

@Jamie: As of right now I have 0 pieces to this puzzle other than the T-10 you saw at dad's house. It came from a lark so not much of the linkage will be usefull. I am trying to work a deal with the guy for both cars but so far no success. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow to offer for just the tranny and clutch linkages from the Hawk so we both get what we really need. After that I should have a better idea of what I lack. But looking at the pictures from the manual I'm sure I can get one made up at work. We have a full sheet metal shop and that bracket doesn't look like it would be any bigger than 1/4" thick material bent into top hat shape to bolt to the transmission and catch the end of the shaft. I'll keep you up to date on the progress of the deal.

Comment

I ended up just buying the 60 hawk outright and will be parting it out next weekend and then off to the scrap yard it will go. I don't have anywhere to store it long term so I'll be getting everything off of it that I can. Thanks for all the answers to the my questions and I will try and update this thread with pics next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X