Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever find yourself conflicted between two loves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever find yourself conflicted between two loves?

I find myself in a quandry. I really love my Studebaker automobiles. However there was once a time when I loved my Studebaker Carriages. I have a chance to turn the clock back, as it were, and start over again. The sixty-nine thousand dollar question is; do I want to?

Sometimes I really do.

Sometimes I really don't.

Mosttimes I'm afraid to even think about it.

Surely most of you have seen the posts I've made on Horsedrawn Studebakers. They really are my first love. Fifteen years devotion, a love affair if you will, is really a wrench to let go. It wasn't something that was willing or voluntary in any wise. All the same, economics, realities of parental responsibilities, etc... sometimes make our decisions for us.

Fast forward twenty, or more, years to the present. Here I am with the opportunity of starting over with horses and carriages, add to that the opportunity of several horse drawn Studebakers at very good prices, and you can see my quandry. Something will have to be traded for the opportunities. The only things I have of value are my model trains (which are currently for sale) and my stationwagon. Bess is not really of any great value, however, I'm sure she has some, at least. After all, I saw one for sale in the Sacramento area that wasn't really in any better condition for five grand! In fact, the Sacramento Parkview may have been in worse condition. If I could get four grand for Bess...

But do I really want to sell?

Should I trade my present love for my first love?

What to do. What to do...

Just needed to vent in a sympathetic location. Thanks for listening.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I do not really know your complete situation, it may not be something you want to vent here but, the FIRST thing that came to my mind is this.

What about the HORSES?

If one is to USE the wagons, he needs Horses, and unless you have the Pastures, Barn, the means to feed and maintain them, how do you pull this off?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-04-2011, 08:35 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
      Ever find yourself conflicted between two loves?
      All day, every day!

Should I trade my present love for my first love?
      Ron, based on what I know of you, I have to say... "Yes."

I envy you for your love and dedication to the horse drawn era.

BUT... I'm not really qualified to suggest what you should do.

It has been my observation that first loves seldom, if ever, (mostly, never) re-present themselves.

I suggest that you seize the moment (opportunity,) my friend.
      Last edited by Studedude; 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I do not really know your complete situation, it may not be something you want to vent here but, the FIRST thing that came to my mind is this.

What about the HORSES?

If one is to USE the wagons, he needs Horses, and unless you have the Pastures, Barn, the means to feed and maintain them, how do you pull this off?
        Ah, there you have put your finger on the biggest quandry facing me.

No, I don't have the horses, barns, and the means. However, that's also one of the opportunities that has presented itself. In the club that's forming here in Redding, there are people who not only do, but appear to be willing to share! One of which already has. At the very least, there are some partial, very reasonable, leases that have been made available that would work just fine for me! The owners would take care of the farrier, vet, and daily maintenance. All I would have to do is show up three days a week (if I wish) and enjoy the horses. I couldn't exactly get involved with serious competition with these horses. All the same, I could enjoy them and use them for teaching. Two things I really love.

I'd still have Ed ('62 Champ), who would be very handy to haul the odd horse trailer and carriage around. 'Course, I'll have to fix him first (tranny linkage and brake line issues)...

As to the venue, why not here? After all, I'm talking about Studebakers. Just two kinds of Studebakers. Though maybe I should talk to the Antique Studebaker people?

Dave, yeah I know what you mean. That's what has me all in a dither. Here it seems that the door is being re-opened to what I love to do. I'm living in a perfect location for it, and yet there are some exigent issues (though not at all impossible) to deal with before I could move forward with this. So, here's that first blush showing itself again.

What to do...
        What to do...

Perhaps I should listen to advice given to my older brother from my Grandfather, "Tempes Fugit! Time flys, seize the day, my lad!"
        Last edited by studeclunker; 02-04-2011, 10:03 PM.
        Ron Smith

Comment

Sounds like you`ve made up your mind already . .
          Sell Bess and move on . . (Of course sell only if you can get a good price though) .
          Buggys and Horses are Cool .

Comment

I will stick with my 300 horses. in my signature
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Ron, you are our horsedrawn authority here. Your knowledge and love of them are obvious to all.

My vote is- follow your heart. Life is too short. If you change your mind you can always sell your carriage(s) and get another car in the future.

Go for it- and make sure you stick around here!
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'm with most everyone else Ron.. I've noticed your knowledge and expertise of the horse drawn Studebakers over the last few years here, and I think you should go for it. Just post lots of pictures for us.

Comment

Ron, I won't even attempt to give advice on this dilemma. It is way too deep for you.

But, I will say, in regards to your question of venue, you had better keep right on posting here. I LOVE reading and learning about wagons and Studebaker history. And there are too few of us who know the facts, and can live them. You HAVE to keep on telling us about them.

Comment

Ron: I would suggest that you project out for a year the expenses of either choice. If going with the horse-drawn venue will give you the most fun in life...go with it. Sometimes well thought-out change caused by our own initiative can be very invigorating. As mentioned by other forum members...do keep us posted on your decision.
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The only things I have of value are my model trains (which are currently for sale) and my stationwagon. Bess is not really of any great value, however, I'm sure she has some, at least.
                      Money always seems to come into the picture in the end, including one's time which can equate to money. It really doesn't matter what the wagon is worth on the market, you want it because you enjoy it. And if you restore it and enjoy it, who really cares if the restoration costs exceed what you might get for it if you sell? As far as horses go, yes, boarding one costs money! You'll have to factor him as part of your annual 'fuel' bill just as you would maintaining the wagon for a year. So owning working carriages aren't altogther "free". Keep a tab for the year to see what maining the wagon versus what boarding a horse costs. I'd be kind of interested in knowing myself just to see at what mileage point the expense of the car will exceed the horse.

Craig

Comment

Interesting question that only you can answer. I grew up riding and driving horses all over town. The way traffic is now I would not put a horse on the street. If I had a place to keep a horse and/or a place to drive a Studebaker horsedrawn vehicle I would want one too, but the car will sit and wait for months without any extra expense. It seems to always come to the money.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

with family & work obligations mostly complete, around 4 years ago i finally was able to get back in the ol' car "biz", 1st with 'vettes, now studebakers. sometimes frustrating but in the end, satisfying...

in the '80's i lived in the upper mojave desert, ca. and had a few horses, i recall the expense just for alfalfa was around $110 a ton back then (of course that was the '80's "desert" price).

i guess what i'm trying to say is: go with your heart - but go in with a plan. know what the costs will be up front, but also the ongoing expenses. i.e. if you sell "bess" and some trains, how long will that keep you going?

i hope that makes some sense...
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Yeah, all of you make sense. After owning horses for over fifteen years, I'm quite aware of the expense of owning them. The only way this would suceed is if I could work at training and working with other people's horses. Also, like I said, there is an opportunity to lease horses from several people. This would reduce the costs of keeping a Carriage considerably. As to the vehicles, they are even cheaper to store than an automobile with far less upkeep. There aren't any parts to refresh when one brings them out of storage. No rubber gaskets, brake lines, master cylinders or other mechanical gizmos to worry about. Just clean and grease the wheel spindles and one is ready to go, apart from washing and cleaning. They can sit for years with no problems in good, dry storage. It's the horses that are the issue.

So, yes I'm proceeding very carefully with this. A mis-step could be very costly.

As for you Jeff, all I can say is: LOL!

When it comes to my posting here, well... I'll still have Ed to whin... ahem, ah, post about.
                            Last edited by studeclunker; 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM.
                            Ron Smith

Comment

And you can sell horse poop at the side of the road as fertilizer ! . . ( 4 extra cash ) .

Comment

Working...
                              X