Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander Candy, Part 4

1955 Studebaker Commander by the kestrel kid, on Flickr

Poster IDs the location as the Mukilteo lighthouse in Mukilteo, Washington.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Interesting, Clark. That appears to be a 1955 Commander Custom to which someone added the 1954 side stainless strip. 'Nothing wrong with that; it looks much nicer than the huge flying wedge on the higher-line 1955 Commander 2-doors. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

They also lost the "back doors" found on 2-door sedans. That mod would probably be on my list of things to do also.
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Looks nice in that color, too!!!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
          They also lost the "back doors" found on 2-door sedans. That mod would probably be on my list of things to do also.
          Yes, I was noticing the seam had been filled. Something the factory ought to have done, IMHO

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Commander?

I wonder if it really is a Commander, I don't see anything that would give us a clue, except the large Tires, and that does not mean they belong there.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Having grown up less then ten miles from there-- it's very refreshing to see that lighthouse!!! So many memories (good and bad) come back to me. I can't think of too many ways to make it any better. Then again~ Boeing's Everett plant at Paine Field is just up the hill from there~ adding a BIG new Boeing, or one of the DreamLifters in the sky above might do it...

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I wonder if it really is a Commander, I don't see anything that would give us a clue, except the large Tires, and that does not mean they belong there.
              Give Craig time to see this thread. Being a 'Can-AM Zone' car,
              I'm sure he's seen it and shot it somewhere once...
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I was gonna say
                Looks more like a 54 with a 55 front clip, But then i noticed the wrap around windshield and the 55 tail lights.
                Then i got out my 54 Brochure and it only had the the wide stainless on on 4 doors, the two doors only had the thin strip that starts behind the indention on earlier cars (53-55 sedans)
                Very interesting car indeed. But also very nice.

Here are some pics of sedans, i have found None with that chrome strip. Looks like he used a 4dr strip at the rear, and a front door strip of a 4 door up front.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Looks like my '55 Champion 2 door Sedan with 4 door trim.

Comment

I agree that doing away wih that seam makes the ines much cleaner. I really like this car, including the color. I guess it is just different enough to make me happy.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Interesting, Clark. That appears to be a 1955 Commander Custom to which someone added the 1954 side stainless strip. 'Nothing wrong with that; it looks much nicer than the huge flying wedge on the higher-line 1955 Commander 2-doors. BP
                      I'm with Bob. This looks like someone installed the AC-2635 Stainless Moulding Kit for F-bodies. The wide stainless moulding came out in '54, but Studebaker offered AC kits, apparently to 'upgrade' the lower models. These kits are listed in the parts books for '53 and '54. The AC-2635 kit is for the '53/'54 2-door sedan, and the illustration in the parts book looks exactly like what is on the '55 in the picture. Right off, I can't think of a reason why this kit wouldn't work on the '55 once the big 'flying wedge' chrome thingie is removed.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Here's a '54 Commander wagon that passed through my hands many years ago. It seems to have the stainless in question, along with other '54 wagons I've seen.

Comment

Were you taking that wagon down to the river to drown it, Skinny?

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                            Were you taking that wagon down to the river to drown it, Skinny?
                            No, it's a situation you're probably not familiar with Clark......the Spring thaw!

Comment

If you look at the following web page http://hem.bredband.net/b284654/project/1955_2.htm it shows a number of images of '55 Studebakers. The two door Commander shown does not appear to have "back doors". It is also void the stainless side trim, however all the other cars shown with side trim have the trim up higher on the car. My President 4 door has the same colour scheme but does not have the wide side walls.
                              Last edited by 2moredoors; 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM.
                              sigpic
                              55 President Deluxe
                              64 Commander
                              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                              X