'51 hubcaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 hubcaps

Does anybody know if any Ford or Chrysler 15" wheels will accept the dog dish hubcaps from a '51 Champion?
    Thanks, John

I don't think there are any later model wheels that the Stude small caps work on. Some people have put the older Stude centers in later wide rims and some have welded the Stude hubcap clips to the later wheel centers. Lots of us wish someone would find a wider rim that the small caps would fit, but no luck.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Ran into a guy at a show who had JB Welded the Stude hubcaps to some sort of Ford hubcap. CASO but effective.

Comment

J-B Welded the caps or a clip to hold the caps?
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Ok, so Studebaker caps won't fit the later other brand wheels. Is the tabs (bumps) on the other make wheels too small?
          If so, would it be feasible to weld up the tabs to hold a Studebaker cap?
          Don't know, that's why I'm asking.
          George King
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Someone on the forum a short while back mentioned modifing some wheels by milling slots for the early clips. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the equipment to go that route.
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

J-B Welded the Stude cap on top of the F*rd cap. He used one of those flat early 70s F*rd poverty caps with a bead run around the edge.

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              J-B Welded the caps or a clip to hold the caps?

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                Someone on the forum a short while back mentioned modifing some wheels by milling slots for the early clips. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the equipment to go that route.
                Here: http://studebakerskytop.com/Blogs/?page_id=60

You really don't need a milling machine to do this. The hard part is laying it out and getting the location right. The actual slots can be done with a drill and file.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Hey Paul and 52-Fan. Thanks. I like that idea. I can do that. Now I need to figure wheel width and offset and find the wheels.

Comment

Working...
                  X