Big Truck photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Truck photos

A car friend, Del DeYoung, passed away and while I never had the opportunity to see his Wisconsin collection I have heard it was very nice. I looked at this site to see one of his trucks and discovered that there are many trucks to see and enjoy. His Florida cars were great to have present at a car show. Some of you might like the photos of the trucks if you have not already viewed them. Del's 1946 Diamond T is among them.

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

BIG and small plus ALL sorts of color schemes! The car hauler with late '40's Studebaker sedans on it is right in vogue.
    JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. I like his taste in trucks, very nice.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Sorry to hear of your friends passing. I like his taste in trucks, very nice.
        Thanks. He and Betty were a great couple and they were great to be around at car shows or at church. Their Florida cars were 1952 Buick Super cvt., 1937 Buick Century cvt., 56 Packard 400, and a 1938 Super 8 sedan. It would be a delight to have any of them.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Nice Stuff!

Lots of great trucks in those pics... thanks for sharing!
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

I love the 1950's and earlier trucks, but am a little confused about the 1980's through 2000's models.
            They don't really look any different from what I see along side me on the interstates today.
            Sure, there would be differences under the hood, and some trim, but it doesn't look like some trucks (Peterbuilt, for one) have changed their basic look for most of my lifetime).

What is the appeal of "collecting" a 2005 truck?
            Or, am I missing something and the 2005 truck was used to haul the 1928 truck to the show, and nobody thinks it is collectible?

Comment

Originally posted by aenthal View Post
              I love the 1950's and earlier trucks, but am a little confused about the 1980's through 2000's models.
              They don't really look any different from what I see along side me on the interstates today.
              Sure, there would be differences under the hood, and some trim, but it doesn't look like some trucks (Peterbuilt, for one) have changed their basic look for most of my lifetime).

What is the appeal of "collecting" a 2005 truck?
              Or, am I missing something and the 2005 truck was used to haul the 1928 truck to the show, and nobody thinks it is collectible?
              Actually, under the "skin", all heavy commercial trucks sold in the U.S.A. offer many of the same brands of components. Some have their own proprietary engines as optional equipment (International diesel, Mack diesel, Volvo diesel, Mercedes diesel and recently Paccar diesel engines for it's truck brands Peterbilt & Kenworth) however most if not all trucks sold here also offer Cummins and Detroit diesel engines as optional equipment. Caterpillar was an option but didnt meet recent pollution requirements.
              Furthermore, Eaton Fuller is a very popular transmission option as are Dana Rockwell differentials.

So, I guess the most differentiation between all of these trucks is the "skin" (the fiberglass hood and steel or aluminum cab & sleeper). Some brands like International, Freightliner, Peterbilt and it's sibling Kenworth offer a "classic" style design and look much like trucks they manufactured decades ago (especially Peterbilt & Kenworth). These are designs that have no aerodynamic look to them as they have a long flat-top hood and have lots of exposed stainless steel goodies. However, these manufacturers also offer streamlined designs for owners more interested in fuel savings than showing off lots of "bling".

Just like automobiles, trucks keep changing and improving. With that said, I still love the classic design of a 379 Peterbilt even if it does look like a Peterbilt from the 1960's.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

My favorites have long been a toss up between the LT Macks and Sterlings. To my eye well proportioned classic styling.

Comment

Working...
                X