'62 4 door anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 4 door anyone?

Back about 1998, my sons and I spruced up a '62 Lark for their first car. Far from a restoration, it did get new sheet metal welded in the floors, CE back-of-fender repair panels, and rockers. It also got a moderate amount of bondo, paint, NOS bumpers and grille, as well as fresh brakes and some suspension repairs, though the details are a bit fuzzy. The seats came from an early 1990's Crown Vic, and some quickie home-made door panels and headliner were installed. Because I had it laying around, a somewhat sunburned '63 dash was installed. It was a safe reliable driver and did what was intended.

It's been sitting pretty much untouched for the past 8-10 years, and it is showing. The paint is in poor shape, the bumpers, while straight, have pitting, the grille shell is cracked, as is the windshield. A bit of rust is showing on two doors, and some of the bondo is cracking. The interior was never much and the seats are ok, but the headliner is gone and the door panels are ....fugly. I did not get pics of that. Though he knows the keys aren't lost, the son with possession could not find them, but he was driving it occasionally up to last Fall.

It's a 289 F-O-M, no power anything, and aftermarket AC

Both of the boys had been trying to sell it for what I continually reminded them was an unreasonable amount. Last asking price was $2,000, but I think they both want it gone. I'm not sure that they are ready to accept 3 figures though. The car is in Woodstock GA. Contact me if you are interested, I'll pass the word on.
    Attached Files
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Ron, I have a soft spot for Larks- and 4 doors- and 62s Just can not do... cost plus shipping equals I just can't right now Hope you find her a good home...
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Ron, I have a soft spot for Larks- and 4 doors- and 62s Just can not do... cost plus shipping equals I just can't right now Hope you find her a good home...
      Me too, it's a shame it just sits there most of the time
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

My '64 Cruiser has that same trunk latch!

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
          My '64 Cruiser has that same trunk latch!
          Yeah, Studebakers were WAY ahead of thier time with these fingerprint reading locks!
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Besides the dash, it starts and ends as a 1963 (parking lights and taillights) <G>.
            Good luck! It looks like a fine car for someone to start with. Put it on eBay with a low starting bid and a reserve that you can live with. I would guess that it would be between $1K and $2K.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I sent this link to somebody that may be interested. I'll send you a PM or email.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Sent you a return PM

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                I sent this link to somebody that may be interested. I'll send you a PM or email.
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

The four pictures show it to be very nice looking from the outside.Thanks Ron, for describing the interior to us which 'ain't much' or is it?
                  JimsLeadCommander

Comment

The pictires must be deceiving, then. The paint is faded, there is sloppy body work with far more bondo than there should be (not so much by depth AFAIR, but it is everywhere) the old paint should have been stripped before it was painted, etc. Think not even MAACO, but Earl Schieb. It was nothing but a quick spruce up.

I wish I had gotten pictures of the interior, but James never could find the keys that day, it was locked, and I thought the glare was too great to show much.

I know I'm beating it up, but it is still a driver project and not as far gone as a parts car. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about it being nicer than it is, nor worse than it is.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                    X