LockRight...Drive Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LockRight...Drive Report

Today I got the rear end back in S2D. Same rear end, but now with Fairborn axles, 4.27 ring and pinion, and a Richmond Gear LockRight unit.

First of all, I'd like to thank Ted Harbit and Phil Harris of Fairborn Studebaker for all their help...both with parts and with plenty of free advice. The Studebaker hobby is privileged to have folks like these guys as a part of it.

I took it easy the first couple of miles. In so doing, I had a hard time noticing a change...other than the change from 3.54's to 4.27's. I should have made that gear change years ago. A close ratio T-10 is MADE for a low rear end. It really woke the car up (and it already wasn't too sleepy [:I].

In terms of the LockRight, if I didn't know it was in there, I probably wouldn't have noticed any difference under less than spirited driving. There is a slight "clunk" if you quickly remove your foot from the accelerator. This is probably the LockRight coming up against the pinion shaft. The pinion shaft is now only used to center the LockRight and the thrust button. There is about 1/4" of play there and that's what I think is making the little clunk. With a neutral or trailing throttle in a slowish corner, you can't (I least I can't) even hear the LockRight clicking.

If you take off quickly from a stop with the wheels turned hard right or left, the inside tire will chirp. The LockRight is sensing the torque and locking, causing the inside tire to turn faster than it should. I could also make it click (barely audible) in a tight, relatively fast turn (neutral or trailing throttle).

No bad manners under hard acceleration through the gears. None of the symptoms that Jeff eluded to with a Detroit Locker.

It is a little different than my open rear end, but I like it! Sort of more "hot rod" like. S2D is a hot rod. No A/C, no power windows, no power steering, 4 speed, high winding solid lifter 327. The relatively minor things the LockRight does differently than an open rear end make the car even more of a hot rod. No complaints.

The LockRight's normal state is to be locked...but, it unlocks rather easily. For example, with both rear wheels off the ground, if you turn one wheel, the other wheel won't turn. You get a little random clicking as the LockRight "slips". In a straight line, however, it is 100% locked...and locked immediately. Pretty nifty invention.

My guess is that with an automatic trans, it would be even more difficult to tell you have a LockRight back there.

Bottom line, if you can't live with the little lift throttle clunk, some tire chirps in rapid acceleration from a stop into a hard turn, and some clicking under certain turning conditions, the LockRight is not for you. If you want both rear wheels firmly planted during straight line acceleration and can live with the above, it's a real value...easy to install too.

Ted turned me on to this.

I needed some sort of positraction for my '54. The Dana Spicer TT units are getting hard to find. In addition, they only provide about a 50% lock up and there are those clutches that wear and the special additive you have to put in.

Richmond Gear has come out with a Lock Right.

It is a 100% lock up, comes in a 19 spline "flavor" for our Studebakers, doesn't need any special additive, no parts to wear out, and is only $300-$350. It fits in an OPEN 44 diff. It actually replaces the spider gears and the side bevel gears in an open diff. The pinion shaft, thrust washers and thrust block is retained.

I installed mine in the carrier in under an hour (the carrier is out of the diff). Next one will probably take 15 minutes. It's pretty simple.

Here's a stock open diff...

Here's a stock one with the Lock Right unit...

I should have the rear end back in the car early next week (with the 4.27 gears and Fairborn axles) and I'll give a ful
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I needed some sort of positraction for my '54. The Dana Spicer TT units are getting hard to find. In addition, they only provide about a 50% lock up and there are those clutches that wear and the special additive you have to put in.

It is a 100% lock up, comes in a 19 spline "flavor" for our Studebakers, doesn't need any special additive, no parts to wear out, and is only $300-$350. It fits in an OPEN 44 diff. It actually replaces the spider gears and the side bevel gears in an open diff. The pinion shaft, thrust washers and thrust block is retained.

I installed mine in the carrier in under an hour (the carrier is out of the diff). Next one will probably take 15 minutes. It's pretty simple.

I should have the rear end back in the car early next week (with the 4.27 gears and Fairborn axles) and I'll give a full report on how it works.

Thanks for the heads up Dick. That looks like an excellent option for our Studes!

I read this on the website:
    http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html).

What were your reasons for going with the Lock-Right versus the PowerTrax?

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I should have the rear end back in the car early next week (with the 4.27 gears and Fairborn axles) and I'll give a full report on how it works.

Thanks for the heads up Dick. That looks like an excellent option for our Studes!

I read this on the website:
      http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html).

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Paul, I'm betting it's because the one you linked to doesn't come in 19-spline anymore. It used to, but no longer![:I] BUT.... I've found that there's at least one company that specializes in aftermarket items for Jeeps that STILL HAS some Powertrax 19-spline kits. Who knows how long the supply will last tho![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Paul, I'm betting it's because the one you linked to doesn't come in 19-spline anymore. It used to, but no longer![:I] BUT.... I've found that there's at least one company that specializes in aftermarket items for Jeeps that STILL HAS some Powertrax 19-spline kits. Who knows how long the supply will last tho![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark
            1. That's what Ted told me to get [^].

2. They are cheaper (the Powertrax are in the $450-500 range)

3. The lock right is a FULL LOCKER and my primary use would be drag racing...I don't think I'll mind the clicking in turns.

4. I don't believe Richmond Gear makes the Powertrax in a 19 spline for the Dana 44. We're probably pretty lucky that the LockRight is available in 19 spline...most other Dana 44's are 30 spline.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark
              1. That's what Ted told me to get [^].

2. They are cheaper (the Powertrax are in the $450-500 range)

3. The lock right is a FULL LOCKER and my primary use would be drag racing...I don't think I'll mind the clicking in turns.

4. I don't believe Richmond Gear makes the Powertrax in a 19 spline for the Dana 44. We're probably pretty lucky that the LockRight is available in 19 spline...most other Dana 44's are 30 spline.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I hate to be the voice of doubt but... I sincerely hope that this unit is better than whatever full locker GM was using a couple years ago. I saw one literally destroyed with a couple hard launches... in a van. (Calvin probably knows the guy that demonstrated this weakness to me...)

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I hate to be the voice of doubt but... I sincerely hope that this unit is better than whatever full locker GM was using a couple years ago. I saw one literally destroyed with a couple hard launches... in a van. (Calvin probably knows the guy that demonstrated this weakness to me...)

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Richmond DID make a Powertrax in 19-spline fashion until recently. They no longer do. However, I found that a certain Jeep aftermarket supply place still has some in stock. I bought one for future use.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Richmond DID make a Powertrax in 19-spline fashion until recently. They no longer do. However, I found that a certain Jeep aftermarket supply place still has some in stock. I bought one for future use.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I hate to be the voice of doubt but... I sincerely hope that this unit is better than whatever full locker GM was using a couple years ago.
                        Me too!

I think George Krem has one in his new Hawk. I also heard Nemish has used them. Theoretically they make the diff stronger. We'll see. My guess is that with this and the Fairborn axles that my failure point will move to the drive shaft/U-joints if anything. I'm hoping that by keeping the rather small tires in the rear (215 75 15) that if anything breaks, it will be traction and not parts.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I hate to be the voice of doubt but... I sincerely hope that this unit is better than whatever full locker GM was using a couple years ago.
                          Me too!

I think George Krem has one in his new Hawk. I also heard Nemish has used them. Theoretically they make the diff stronger. We'll see. My guess is that with this and the Fairborn axles that my failure point will move to the drive shaft/U-joints if anything. I'm hoping that by keeping the rather small tires in the rear (215 75 15) that if anything breaks, it will be traction and not parts.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes, Dick; George does have a new Powertrax unit in his "new" 1958 Golden Hawk. He likes it. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, Dick; George does have a new Powertrax unit in his "new" 1958 Golden Hawk. He likes it. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X