Lark Brake/Clutch Pedal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Brake/Clutch Pedal Question

I have a 6 cylinder automatic 62 lark with the suspended brake pedal. I'm going to be converting it to a manual trans with Chevy V8 and looking at the brake pedal assembly and the workshop manual, it looks like the bracket that holds the automatic brake pedal is the same as the one used for the manaul brake/clutch pedal. It looks like the shaft that goes thru and is used as the pivot for the auto brake pedal is simply replaced by the shaft that is attached to the clutch pedal. Is this correct? If so, I'm thinking I could insert a clutch pedal and shaft and then trim the wider brake pedal down to match the clutch pedal and put a new rubber pad on it. I plan to use a hydraulic clutch so i know I need to figure all the details of that out, but I think this would be a great start, and retain the stock look without having to rig up universal pedals. Will this work? Thanks.

you could just find a pedal assy. from a 61-66 Lark w/ stickshift. they are not as uncommon as you'd think. lots of 'em sold with 3-speeds and 3/ODs.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Right, but I have a clutch pedal, so I'm just wondering if they use the same parts, so I can use it.

Comment

Back to the top... Does anyone know if my thought is correct? will the clutch pedal fit into the bracket for the automatic brake pedal... Thanks!

Comment

Hi Dougie,
          I will try to look for you when I go out to feed the Horses in the morning,
          I have two 62 larks 1 is a 3 speed over drive & the Daytona is an automatic you know my hot rod with the chevy 350 in it...
          The 8.8 is in with all the brakes and I found the drive shaft and it's in too.
          So it will be some fun this summer.
          I will compare them and get back to you ok.

Gene.

Comment

Yes you can interchange the Auto and Std. Clutch/Brake Pedal assemblies.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich - Thanks. I was hoping to hear that.

Gene, No need to go climbing around to check the manual car unless you just feel like doing it. Glad to hear you made some good progress on the black Lark. I'm moving a little slowly, still working on the engine, but progress nonetheless.

Comment

Unless I missed it there is one small difference in the upper bracket shell that runs from the dash to the firewall... the standard shift has a arm off the clutch pedal side for a clutch return spring. The standard pedals will fit right into the automatic shell but there is that return spring for the mechanical clutch. Since you mentioned a hydralic clutch, I dont know if the return spring under the dash is necessary.

Jeff T.
                \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                The Replacements.

Comment

clutch and brake pedal

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                  Unless I missed it there is one small difference in the upper bracket shell that runs from the dash to the firewall... the standard shift has a arm off the clutch pedal side for a clutch return spring. The standard pedals will fit right into the automatic shell but there is that return spring for the mechanical clutch. Since you mentioned a hydralic clutch, I dont know if the return spring under the dash is necessary.

Jeff T.
                  Jeff T......You are correct about the clutch return spring attach point not being on the auto setup......It needs to be there for the mechanical clutch......I am using the spring on my 62 and 64 with hydraulic clutch master cylinder setup, I am not sure if it is absolutely necessary to be there, but, I feel better about it being on the cars.....Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Working...
                  X