Plymouth Concept Cars ( Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth Concept Cars ( Pictures)

These are some Photos of Plymouth Concept cars I found today. I really like the 53-54 Convertible and 54 coupe. The 60 is reminiscent of the Batmobile and I wonder if the 98 would have generated the sales to help preserve the marque.

53 Plymouth Belmont
    54 Plymouth Belmont
    54 Plymouth Explorer
    60 Plymouth XNR
    98 Plymouth Spyder

Last edited by okc63avanti; 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM.
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Thanks for sharing some obscure prototypes. I REALLY like the look of the 1954 Explorer. The 1960 XNR looked like something straight out of the British 1960s animated sci-fi show "Thunderbirds"!
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

Thanks for sharing with us. Those cars would fit in now. I like the 60 plymouth xnr the best. It could be used. The others are good weather cars. The 98 spyder looks like it has a fire bird grill in it.
      I'm new on the form, only about 2 wks. The most, so i'm learning slowly. I'm from arron,ohio area. And have 2 studes. A 55 2 dr.sedan & 64 hawk. My name here is studebaker. Was a bad name to pick, my change later. Real name is don morgan

Comment

Hi

While Virgil Exner created some knockout lookers for Ghia to build, the Plymouth Belmont and Explorer missed the mark rather badly in detail. The Belmont has very nice overall form as well as the styling on the sides and rear. But that front end is just horrendous! It looks like the forms usually applied to the rear of a car stuck on the front. Get a load of those creepy, sci-fi headlights. It currently belongs to a NJ collector, showed it at Hershey a couple years ago, it looks worse in person than even in photos.

The Plymouth Explorer was shown at Pebble Beach last year, belongs to the Petersen Museum, pictured in the current HCC. It's a mish-mash of busy sculptured details in unattractive combinations. Clean off the goop, the overall form is actually pretty nice.

Anyway, that's my take on 'em. Don't let my harsh opinions color your enjoyment of these concept car designs, after all, what do I know?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
          The Belmont . . . . front end is just horrendous! It looks like the forms usually applied to the rear of a car stuck on the front.
          Steve
          Yeah - you can't tell if it's coming or going. . . . <g>

Comment

The 1950's show cars from the Big 3 are futuristic and look good, yet they pale in comparrison to the 1953 Studebaker coupes that were actually mass produced. Amazing really that a small automobile company like Studebaker had the guts to build such a futuristic car.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Lothar, you hit the nail on the head! I said to myself that car sure looks familiar-Thunderbirds are Go!
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X