Rear axle housing bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle housing bumper

I need to purchase a rear axle housing bumper for my 64 Daytona convertible. According to the chassis manual these bumpers were standard equipment on 61 thru 64 Larks equipped with a 4 speed trans. I have included a photo of the bumper as installed on my 63 Lark R2, 4 speed. Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
    55 Speedster (in work)
    63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
    64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
    64 Avanti R2 (completed)
    85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
    89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

I think Studebaker International has them, as probably all or most of the other vendors

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

I know they have the bumpers that mount on both sides of the frame. Yours appears to be in the center cross-member. Check your Chassis Catalog. If it's the same part number, you're golden.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I bought a new one of these for my '64 4-speed HT awhile back, I got it from S.I.

Comment

I should have been more clear in my original post. I need the entire assembly including the rubber bumper, SI does have the bumper P/N 433812. Pages 432 and 433 of the Chassis Parts Catalog show a bracket P/N 1555063, plate P/N 1552010 and retainer P/N 1555093 used in the assembly. I will probably have to get the entire assembly off of a parts car.

55 Speedster (in work)
          64 Avanti R2 (completed)

Comment

I'll check the 4 speed Lark that I parted out.

Comment

Couple of questions.
              Why? (Not the snarky why, but the curious why).
              That pinion snubber, in the stock Studebaker, was to stop the pinion/driveshaft from contacting the body in a fully loaded/hard acceleration mode.
              If your springs are good, and your car is not heavily loaded, the snubber won't touch anything anyways, unless you wind 'er up and dump the clutch.
              The bracket for the rubber snubber is just flat stock metal.
              I have one off of a GT Hawk. I can measure it, and trace the profile.
              You could have a metal shop shear and bend (in a brake) one for you in a half an hour, and use the SI rubber piece..
              That is, if you want something stock....
              Now, Having said all that....
              T'were it me? I'd make up an upside down Mopar Direct Connection adjustable snubber, so it could be set for street duty, and then 'dropped' for drag race duty.
              Think of this pic upside down...
              Jeff

Originally posted by Jackson View Post
              I need to purchase a rear axle housing bumper for my 64 Daytona convertible. According to the chassis manual these bumpers were standard equipment on 61 thru 64 Larks equipped with a 4 speed trans. I have included a photo of the bumper as installed on my 63 Lark R2, 4 speed. Any help is appreciated.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My 66 Daytona made with 3speed o/drive has the snubber too. That may widen your chances of finding one.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

DEEPNHOCK: I have just completed installing a 700R4 trans in this convertible and the new drive shaft has a larger diameter than the Studebaker driveshaft that was removed. The old driveshaft had already been contacting the body tunnel, IMHO the easiest solution was to find a Studebaker part that bolts right in before going the fabrication route.

55 Speedster (in work)
                  64 Avanti R2 (completed)

Comment

Jackson: if you need the metal piece that rivets to the frame, that holds the rubber bumper, I have a pr of these I do not need. SI has the rubber piece itself. let me know PM me, or put it here. Thanks, m weiss

Comment

Working...
                    X