Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker use the Hydrovac with dual master cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker use the Hydrovac with dual master cylinders?

Or did Studebaker EVER have dual master cylinders w/power brakes? Tho I have pix of cars with dual master cylinders, I have found no pix of those brakes with power booster.

Also, I have never found pix of front disk brake cars with dual master cyliners. Was there such a creature?

John

short answer, no, and no.

The Hydrovac was a single circuit device, so it's not possible to use one with a dual master cylinder (unless you use it only on the front circuit, but that setup would make me a little uneasy.)

The disc brake non-C/K cars (Lark types and Avanti) all used a single circuit "fruit jar" type MC, although there's no reason why a properly sized dual MC could not be adapted to the vacuum mechanical booster used on those cars. The disc brake C-Ks used a MC similar to the standard C-K and early sedan, with a Hydrovac (see above re: "can't get there from here")

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

To clarify, Johnny: Studebaker did have power brakes available with dual-piston master cylinders on 1963-1966 Lark-types without disc brakes.

But they were not Hydrovac units.

(Your question poses a number of different scenarios.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This might answer your question about the power booster with the split dual master cylinder. The system was original with the car when I bought it, which was one of those odd options ordered as it was originally a six. I always considered it a go between, between the non power drums w/regular split system dual master cylinder, and the power disc brakes with the single system master cylinder(meaning it's got the technology of the older system but has the power brakes of the disc brake system). My Lark has four wheel power drums with a split system on it. It's not a Hydrovac system.

If anybody wants to know, it stops rather well, although when the power booster goes bust, finding an NOS power drum split system unit, off the shelf is getting rather hard to find from modern suppliers these days .
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
          This might answer your question about the power booster with the split dual master cylinder. The system was original with the car when I bought it, which was one of those odd options ordered as it was originally a six. I always considered it a go between, between the non power drums w/regular split system dual master cylinder, and the power disc brakes with the single system master cylinder(meaning it's got the technology of the older system but has the power brakes of the disc brake system). My Lark has four wheel power drums with a split system on it. It's not a Hydrovac system.

If anybody wants to know, it stops rather well, although when the power booster goes bust, finding an NOS power drum split system unit, off the shelf is getting rather hard to find from modern suppliers these days .
          If, or when, the booster goes bad, there is a place up in Portland Or that can re-build it. I had mine done there..it was off a 1964 model. I can't recall the name of the place, but if you google" booster dewey"...it'll pop up..

Comment

I've had them go bad, there's at least a couple times in the last 10 years I've had to pull the booster. It was usually the diaphragm that burst. If I recall there was Prior Remanufacturing in Texas where I've sent them for rebuilding, and a place here in Cicero that would do them as well. That's an easy proposition, however, as of a couple years ago when I requested for a new one or rebuilt one off of the shelf to replace the booster, they said "Not Available" unless you sent them your core to rebuild.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
            X