Who had this idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who had this idea?

I have read and heard that the 53 rear seat console was not very popular. I remember double dating in the one I had way back when. My friend that rode in the back kinda liked it, cause he and his girl could both get on one side. I wonder it that's what's going on in my Grandson'd head. He kinda likes it too!!!

: Who had this idea?

The Lowey coupes were marketed as sports coupes, not family sedans, and the rear seating arrangement fit that image even though it was not very practical for more than 2 passengers. A full seat used later,with a rest which folds out from the seat back was much more practical. It would be a pretty slim pair of teenagers comfortably occupying the same side of an early c/k rear seat!

Comment

The MANY styles of C & K rear armrests

The '53 C & K Rear Armrests were also console storage boxes & not removeable, '54's are Rear armrests ONLY & were removeable (lift right out!), the '55 to '57's fold Down almost flat, the '58 to '61's have none, and the '62 to '64K's are like Barry says: fold down from the back cushion.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
        I have read and heard that the 53 rear seat console was not very popular. I remember double dating in the one I had way back when. My friend that rode in the back kinda liked it, cause he and his girl could both get on one side. I wonder it that's what's going on in my Grandson'd head. He kinda likes it too!!!

A great picture of your Grandson -- cute kid!
        JimsLeadCommander

Comment

"So, how long have you had your Studebaker?"

Comment

In the late '50s, when I had my '54 Commander Starliner (Cost me an outrageous $750!) I really didn't care for the armrest that lifted out (Where do you put it if the rear seat passengers wanna take it out while moving?) so I installed one from a '55. Even the screw holes lined up, as I recall. And no further need for the other one, so I think I just trashed it.

My, my, the things we do when we're young!

John

Comment

Bob, I have had this one about three years. I have had one of some kind since 1955.

Comment

That long eh?

Bob, I have had this one about three years. I have had one of some kind since 1955.
                You have a GREAT vocabulary for a 1 year old Bob! Lol!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Save that one for his avatar, or sig pic for him in a couple decades! He's got the lean already.

Comment

Many people, even those that own 1953 C/K models, do not realize that the rear arm rest opens up.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just as owners of '47-'52 5-passenger/Starlight coupes don't know the side armrests open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	arm rest.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1667004

But I guess by '52, they figured no one knew about 'em anyway, so they left 'em out of the Starliner for that year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1667005

John

Comment

Many people, even those that own 1953 C/K models, do not realize that the rear arm rest opens up.
                        I have had people sitting in the back of mine and I mention that the armrest opens up for storage. They usually try opening it from the front (which it won't since the hinge is on the front). Having it open from the back makes it pretty much impossible to reach back there from the front seat and rummage around for a soda, snacks, camera, etc. Maybe it was intentional so the driver wouldn't be tempted to do it while driving!

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                        X