Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Indianapolis 500 engine article

For those who enjoy reading about the engine based on a Studebaker block
    there is a 6 page article with plenty of pics in the June 1953 issue of Hop Up magazine.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

A highlight of the 2006 SDC International Meet in Omaha was driving over to The Speedway Museum in Lincoln Nebraskla and seeing that engine up front and close. What a marvelous piece of engineering; it honesly looked as contemporary as any high-tech V-8 you'd find in a new, high-performance car being manufactured today.

Seriously. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When I visited the museum in Lincoln I asked someone where the Studebaker Indy engine was and they said "you are standing next to it!." I felt really stupid. That is how modified it is, difficult to recognize as a Studebaker engine.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        When I visited the museum in Lincoln I asked someone where the Studebaker Indy engine was and they said "you are standing next to it!." I felt really stupid. That is how modified it is, difficult to recognize as a Studebaker engine.
        Don't feel bad, Frank. It has been dry for so many years there is no oil spot under it, so it is easily overlooked as being a Studebaker V-8. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Indy Motor

Bob40,

I seem to have misplaced the June issue! Where can we find a copy? I have the assembled motor on my wall paper at work and the exploded view on my laptop. copy attached.

Jon Kammer
          Attached Files

Comment

If you look closely at the lower left of Jon Kammer's photo,
            you can read the small sign that says

STUDEBAKER
            DOHC INDY

There is other information on that sign, but it would be hard to read without really blowing up the picture. BP

Comment

My dream is to either find an unknown "3RD" motor in a barn or at least a set of engineering drawings. I can dream can't I?

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                My dream is to either find an unknown "3RD" motor in a barn or at least a set of engineering drawings. I can dream can't I?

JK
                You really dont have to dream......I believe that they have the blueprints and even the casting molds too! (the museum)
                They were offered by the previous owner with all the accoutrements listed as such sometime in the 70's in Turning Wheels.
                IIRC the guy was in Oregon.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I wish I had never heard that. I'll have to work an extra hour a day to make up for all the day dreaming.

JK

Comment

Here's a little more about it.... http://racingstudebakers.com/holy_grail!.htm
                    Sonny
                    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Pretty sure I have the Motor Trend with a article on the engine as well.
                      There is issue of Hop Up for sale on ebay right now.$12.00
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                      X