Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

True or False did Studebaker make a coupe express with an 8 cyl???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True or False did Studebaker make a coupe express with an 8 cyl???

I was told today by a friend that a friend of his know some one with a stock 8 cly. in a coupe express not sure what year maybe the 37.. if so how many??
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Maybe he's thinking of Richard Dormois' custom President CE.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There was a '38 Coupe Express at the 2003 International meet in Sacramento with a Straight 8. (I wasn't there, only saw photos). The story that I remember was that the conversion was done new at the dealer.

There's also a handful of other CE's with President 8's around, but I don't think any left the factory that way. Dick Quinn will likely know more.

Comment

Bob Thurber of La Canada,CA had a '38 with President engine long before Richard Dormois dreamed of it, but who is to know if it was built with it from the factory- doubtful, I'd think!

Comment

And the Stoecker's have a custom '37 President Sedan Delivery.
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just add this to all the other South Bend Urban Legends.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              And the Stoecker's have a custom '37 President Sedan Delivery.
              That's a Dodge humpback body with a Stude nose and a Chevy 6, right?
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob, Dodge and Chevy both wish.

Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There was never a Straight Eight President Coupe Express built by the factory. There is both a '38 and '39 now extant that are restored on the President chassis, both basically stock appearing. Richard Dormois' '38 Coupe Express is a third though it is heavily modified (though tastefully done). No '37's Eights are around.....yet. Incidentally the '38 was on the cover of The Antique Studebaker Review for Jan/Feb 2004 and a complete story of its history is included (above). It is a beautiful truck and exceptionally well done.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    That's a Dodge humpback body with a Stude nose and a Chevy 6, right?
                    Not exactly, it has a modified 261 c.i. (ohv) GMC truck engine. It is on a '37 President chassis. It is owned by Ford Stoecker of Cape Girardeau, MO. He drove the truck to Fairbanks, Alaska a few years ago and also drove it from his home to the Glendale, AZ Intl meet last year.
                    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                      Bob Thurber of La Canada,CA had a '38 with President engine long before Richard Dormois dreamed of it, but who is to know if it was built with it from the factory- doubtful, I'd think!
                      Barry; Bob Thurber's truck was not on the President Eight chassis. You may wish to check on this.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        Bob, Dodge and Chevy both wish.

This is a 37 Dodge currently on eBay:

I was completely enamored with that baby when it was at York a few years back. I talked with Ford Stoecker back then and I tought I remembered it was a GM straight 6/5 speed, and the back half of the body was a Dodge, grafted on. Not 100% sure if I'm remembering that right, but they surely do look about the same... Did Studebaker make panels in that era?

BTW, the Dodge is currently priced right with a day and a half to go if anyone wants to make their own:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Studebaker did make a panel on the K10 truck chassis (1938-40) but none on the passenger car chassis. You are correct re the origin of the rear body section on Ford's truck.
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Ok thanks every body for there in put, I will pass the info on and see if I can learn more about it..
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

The first thing I noticed about the '38 President Coupe Express cover posted by Mr. Quinn is how much lower (and nicer looking) the sidemount spare is permitted to ride with the longer front clip. A '37-'38 President Woody would be my dream project. I'm much better with a plane than I am with a torch.

Bob, that Dodge "humpback" photo you posted is a perfect match to my eyes.
                              Andy
                              62 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X