spring shackle bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring shackle bolts

I have a general, but related to my Stude, question.
    What keeps the bolts in the rear spring and shackle from falling out? Sure they have nuts on them, plastic locknuts in my case. But what do you torque them to? Seems like too tight will bind up the shackle movement. I'm looking at this and it seems like I need something more.
    I want to use castle nuts and cotter pins on these bolts. Did the factory? Am I being paranoid to think that a regular nut isn't good enough?
    I'm not looking forward to drilling small holes for cotter pins in these grade 8 bolts, so if it's overkill I won't do it.

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
    I have a general, but related to my Stude, question.
    What keeps the bolts in the rear spring and shackle from falling out? Sure they have nuts on them, plastic locknuts in my case. But what do you torque them to? Seems like too tight will bind up the shackle movement. I'm looking at this and it seems like I need something more.
    I want to use castle nuts and cotter pins on these bolts. Did the factory? Am I being paranoid to think that a regular nut isn't good enough?
    I'm not looking forward to drilling small holes for cotter pins in these grade 8 bolts, so if it's overkill I won't do it.
    Don't bother, you can't "bind them up", but I guess you could break them from over torque. I just tighen them nice and tight. Trust me the won't fall out.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

the center sleeve will keep them from tightening too far. just torque to whatever the spec is in the manual and drive happy. Do it while the weight of the car is on the axle so as not to put a twist in the rubber.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It wouldnt hurt to use graded self locking nuts.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Perhaps you don't have the correct shackle bushings? Aftermarket generic ones wont cut it.
          The stock bushings are an inner and outer STEEL sleeve with rubber vulcanized between them.
          The inner sleeve is a tad longer than the outer sleeve and is clamped tight by the shackle links and thru bolt.
          The only thing supposed to "give" during a bump is the twist of the rubber.
          The inner bushing is not supposed to pivot on the bolt.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Interesting.......I just sent someone a PM asking about my shackle bushings. I changed them a couple of mos. ago and just noticed the spring eyes had shifted over the bushings all the way to the right. I have a real "fishtailing" problem from a dead start, but I'm running a lot of power through skinny tires........

Comment

Working...
            X