40 shortie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 shortie

Just HAD to see what that title was about, right?

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Looks like a GM front frame clip (or entire frame)...
    Clowns immediately come to mind
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It's a STUDEBUG!!

Comment

"where's the rest of me???"

(a little "gipper" lingo there).
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Looks like the basis of some kinds of 8 second gasser or something like that...
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

IF the bodywork was done right and I thought that I could chop the top some, I would like to have the body. I saw a shortened Dodge in Springfield, MO last summer that was fenderless and mounted on a longer frame and it made a tough looking hot rod. This one may be too short though, hard to tell.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It may be too short to salvage. This appears to be a case of someone having a frame with more modern running gear and just trying to make the old body fit. In this case he ruined the proportions of the body. The doors look too short to work well.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

There are some very good comments and points made regarding this poor contraption. Not knowing the full story, it looks like there was a guy with a torch, a welder, an idea, some energy, and not much of a plan.

It looks like he finished with the torch, ran out of welding rods, energy, and ideas.

I think that someone with money, tools, energy, imagination, and a plan, could take what is left and make a pretty neat rod from what is left. Think about it...weld a decent front rod type frame fire wall forward, with the axle placed forward, use a 37 to 42 front with the hood and fenders sectioned and extended to properly center the wheels...and you have a sleek long sweeping front "Linclonesque"/"Packardesque" low slung cozy cockpit rod!

It is amazing how simple these ideas can flow when it does not involve my money, tools, time , and energy!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I wish I had taken pictures of the Dodge I saw in Springfield. I have even done google searches and found nothing similar. The cabin was not as short as this Stude and was chopped enough to make it look mean. There was a big block wedge in it and some sort of earlier grille shell up front. All of this was mounted up with a traditional hot rod type frame and had no fenders. I thought the look was just right and I have envisioned a derelict Studebaker 4 door of the mid/late 30s with the same treatment. Of course, my version would have a dressed up Studebaker V-8.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

IMO, this falls into the category of "Just because you can do something, does not mean you should."
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Wasn't that thing on eBay once?
                        And wasn't it painted green?
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Id be afraid of driving that thing on a wet street, it will swap ends faster than you can blink. BTDT in a 57 Corvette with the stock wheelbase of 102"
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

No no, Pat, the polite term is "Perhaps not the way I'd have done it."
                            (And you'd be right!)

This is an Oswego prototype Dwarf car, right?

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                              This is an Oswego prototype Dwarf car, right?
                              What do you know about Dwarf cars??
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X