Caso?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caso?

What in the blue blazes is CASO? Or Non-CASO? Inquiring minds would like to know!

Cheap A$$ Studebaker Owner
    sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
    Bubbaland South
    Resident Machinist

Comment

Frugal Studebaker Owner vs. non-frugal Studebaker owner.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That could be me. Now I know a little more Stude lingo. Thanks for the insight. ya know all you guys have amazing humor and knowledge I sure do appreciate that.
        thanks

Comment

i'm glad SOMEBODY finally asked...
          i kept doing google-searches for acronyms and was trying to put some mysterious puzzle together...

so, what defines one as "cheap-a$$" (CASO) or "not cheap-a$$" (non-CASO) ???

Comment

Using the advanced search function right here on this page will bring you 28 examples and replies with CASO in it.....
            Google is not the end all and be all for Studebaker related searches.
            There is boundless cryptic and veiled information right here!
            But.... It does not explain the hidden meanings within the emoticons

George Carlin had a line about your question.
            He said "Why are there three fire signs?"
            "Flammable, Non-Flammable, and Inflammable"
            George said "It either flams, or it doesn't flam...We only need two signs"
            I like that thought process.
            Once you say CASO, additions are just superlative paragon
            Jeff

Originally posted by Stude-Dude View Post
            i'm glad SOMEBODY finally asked...
            i kept doing google-searches for acronyms and was trying to put some mysterious puzzle together...

so, what defines one as "cheap-a$$" (CASO) or "not cheap-a$$" (non-CASO) ???
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

you're freakin' jokin', right?
              i do a "search" and get FIVE PAGES with a "1 thru 20 of 100"...
              you seriously expectin' us to read through FIVE PAGES to decipher the slang that those that have been members herein for YEARS have come up with between themselves?

in other news, the "undertones" of that 'answer' tells me you own a Chevy - am i right?

if those that have been here for YEARS are tired of "answering" the question, then perhaps it should be made a "sticky" or something...

edit - found the search magic to give me the 28 you refer to... my point still stands, it should be a "sticky" if 'we all' are "expected" to know what it means...
              Last edited by Stude-Dude; 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM.

Comment

You often hear Studebaker described as "Different by Design." In some ways the folks who own Studebakers do it because they want to be different. In fact, I have often said, "anybody can buy a Ford or Chevy!"

The problem.... many of us that want to be "Different by Design," can't afford it.

That is where "CASO" applies. Those of us who can't afford to be "Different by Design," figure out how to do it anyway!

We CASO's are the ones with the black wall tires, back yard paint jobs, painted chrome, smoking engines, seven cylinder V8's, and huge puddles of oil under our cars. It is us CASO's that you see circling the tables at swap meets 6 or 8 times making sure we spend our few dollars getting the best buy for what we need instead of what we want.

One other thing...being a CASO don't have to mean you're broke. It is a game for some, an attitude for others, and an absolute reality for many.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Of course I am joking!!
                  The fact that you did it (your search) here and found five times what I found shows you are light years ahead of me, and that going to Google for a Stude related question is aiming wide of the marque.
                  (Hey! A pun!)
                  I searched here for 'slang' but came up empty.
                  As to your 'undertone' comment....
                  I have a 2011 Chevy Impunity as a company car. Does that count?
                  Also have a couple of Stude's with Stude engines.
                  Also a couple of Stude with no engines.
                  And a Stude with a Chevy engine.
                  And a Chevy pickup.
                  What does that mean?
                  Beats me Who cares?
                  Jeff

you're freakin' jokin', right?
                  i do a "search" and get FIVE PAGES with a "1 thru 20 of 100"...
                  you seriously expectin' us to read through FIVE PAGES to decipher the slang that those that have been members herein for YEARS have come up with between themselves?

in other news, the "undertones" of that 'answer' tells me you own a Chevy - am i right?
                  Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-12-2011, 07:03 AM. Reason: Dog chasing own tail...again...

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

jclary - ah, now THAT is an answer i can live with, MANY thanks...

i hereby classify myself as *semi-caso*, a half caso half non-caso hybrid mixture of the two...

hades, i can't afford a "hemi", so i get a "poly" instead, lol...
                    but that "poly" has Vogue Tyres on 'er, those don't come "cheap"
                    Last edited by Stude-Dude; 01-12-2011, 07:25 AM.

Comment

"Hybrid CASO"...
                      Now THAT has a nice ring to it!
                      Jeff

<snip>
                      i hereby classify myself as *semi-caso*, a half caso half non-caso hybrid mixture of the two...
                      <snip>

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        I have a 2011 Chevy Impunity as a company car. Does that count?
                        so long as it's not an Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban, Corvette, Hummer, Nova, Chevelle, GTO, or (gasp!) a Bel Air, you should be alright...

(or Ford Mustang, for as far as that goes, lol...)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          You often hear Studebaker described as "Different by Design." In some ways the folks who own Studebakers do it because they want to be different. In fact, I have often said, "anybody can buy a Ford or Chevy!"

The problem.... many of us that want to be "Different by Design," can't afford it.

That is where "CASO" applies. Those of us who can't afford to be "Different by Design," figure out how to do it anyway!

We CASO's are the ones with the black wall tires, back yard paint jobs, painted chrome, smoking engines, seven cylinder V8's, and huge puddles of oil under our cars. It is us CASO's that you see circling the tables at swap meets 6 or 8 times making sure we spend our few dollars getting the best buy for what we need instead of what we want.

One other thing...being a CASO don't have to mean you're broke. It is a game for some, an attitude for others, and an absolute reality for many.
                          EPIC!! That has to be the best explanation of the "C" word I have ever seen....
                          That should meet with approval from everybody; from Newt Newbie all the way to HIGHHORSERIDER.
                          BTW I wouldn't make that a 'sticky', I'd make it a 'super-gluey'!

Comment

Well... Actually it is an Impala (but I drive it with impunity)
                            They sent me a list of all of the choices of company cars I could choose.
                            There was only one choice on it...The Impala.
                            3 color choices, 3 interior color choices. Standard fleet leasing fare...Yawn...
                            (Today's Scotsman, right?)
                            I have to admit, I liked the Ford 500 better, even though it had 130,000+ miles on it.

so long as it's not an Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban, Corvette, Hummer, Nova, Chevelle, GTO, or (gasp!) a Bel Air, you should be alright...
                            (or Ford Mustang, for as far as that goes, lol...)
                            Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM. Reason: To remove tag line

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Well... Actually it is an Impala (but I drive it with impunity)
                              i knew you were referring to the Impala...
                              the Impala (at least a couple years ago, pro'ly still the case) was winning "quality" awards left-and-right (it's CANADIAN, btw)...

a buddy of mine had one, loved it, he's regretting tradin' it in...
                              he's got an HHR now, brand spanking new, the engine BLEW, and instead of giving him another HHR, he's been in a rental car for a couple of weeks while they swap out the engine...

dead serious, no joke...

Comment

Working...
                              X