restoring a 4 door 53 Studebaker commander v8 just beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring a 4 door 53 Studebaker commander v8 just beginning

need some help on what direction to go, i was looking for a car to restore and happened to find this 53 commander that was in great body shape for a new england car. According to the story i got from the guy i bought it from was that this car was bought new and driving for several years , the owner passed and his wife was not found of the 3 speed on the column, she sold it to a gas station, who supposedly had it stored away in their garage for years, then vehicle was sold to the person who i bought it from. supposedly veh has 25000 original miles, it looks pretty solid with the exceptions of floors ect. have motor but its' all apart. wondering what my best choices are here, would like to modern it a bit so it can become a more modern driver. just figured i would get some ideas before i start
    Last edited by wholesale-guy; 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM.

'53 Commander Sedan

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC forum, Jose. Joining the Club at the top of these pages to allow you to receive "TURNING WHEELS" monthly Publication would be a good start and then getting the Shop Manual, Chassis Parts Catalog, and Body Parts Catalog either in book form or the less expensive Complete CD with all three books in one available from Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

You have many options here, but one of the best would be putting the word out here that you are looking for a good 1955 to 1964 Studebaker 259 V-8 Engine to replace the original 232, if it has to be completely rebuilt to become dependable.
    These are tough Engines and it may be rebuildable but depending on it's condition, the cost may be greater than a good running used engine or even a later model "builder" rebuildable "core" Stude. Engine. There are lots out there and reasonable.

The '55 to '64 Engines are a bolt-in with minor changes like shortening the fuel hardline.
    The newer Clutch housings, flywheel & Clutch up to 1956 will fit your Trans. but IF it is truly a 3 Speed Manual, non Overdrive, an Overdrive 3 speed would be a very good option.

I think, carefully checking over the condition of the major parts would be first on my list.
    Have fun and enjoy the RIDE!

Your profile does not list your City and State, sometimes it is a big help to list those because local SDC Chapter Members may be close to you, and willing to help with experience and or parts.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-08-2011, 11:53 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice find....you will find a lot of help here
      There are many old Studebakers still out there....I was at a garage yesterday where they had a 53 two door sedan, restored around 2000
      Good luck
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

That's a car I really like myself! To me, this statement you made is the key: " it looks pretty solid with the exceptions of floors etc." More to the point, the key is the "etc." Meaning, find out exactly what the extent of the rust is. Floors are one thing, but if the frame or cowl have rust other than surface, you'll want to think hard about fixing it. You can get replacement floorpans.

Hopefully you'll have it going soon; good luck! And, we always love pictures!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

An easy, and very desirable, upgrade would be to change out the brakes for the larger '55 and later from a Stude V8. That would be a bolt in project. Kits are also available to convert to disc brakes. The '53 brakes were not designed to stop a car of that weight and power. Once they are hot they are useless.

Read this article before starting any project.
          Last edited by rockne10; 01-09-2011, 07:13 AM.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rusty floors. Its a problem we all have. It seems that all Studebakers leak (in the rain) at the top corner of the front door. water runs down inside and soaks up the jute under the carpet/mat. it sits there until it rusts out the floor. Even cars from California, with no visible rust have pinholes in the floors there. The worst case is when the floor rusts away from the bottom of the A pillar, where the front door is hinged. If all you find are quarter sized holes you are in good shape.

Comment

thanks for the reply, and help, i'm hoping that this will be a rewarding experience, I'm already a member and do receive the the turning wheels publication, i do have the shop manual and the chassis parts catalog, but i wasn't aware of a cd being available, so i will be investing in that. well car is still all in one peice, i just got it the garage . i will slowly start taking it apart and documenting it with pictures so i don't get lost, then we will really see what i'm up against

Comment

Take twice as many pictures as you think you need. Remember, digital pictures cost nothing and are a great reference when you go to put it back together. Hopefully your floors are not too rusty. mRust repair is not a tough juob for people that have the right equipment and do it everyday. But, it can be a little overwhelming to a first timer. Don't be dicouraged. Just do your research and fix it right the first time.
                Enjoy your project. Yes we would love to see pictures.
                Check out the picture I will post on my thread on Sandi's Hawk tomorrow.
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                X