PDA

View Full Version : Nationals in Omaha

wayne
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
What is the name of the hotel that the nationals were held in Omaha

PlainBrownR2
01-08-2011, 11:32 PM
That would be the Holiday Inn Hotel and Convention Center in Omaha :p.

BobPalma
01-09-2011, 06:06 AM
My mistake. I thought it was The Omaha Maze. (If you were there, you get the joke. In fact, there may still be one or two SDC stragglers lost somewhere in the place, trying to find an exit or whatever meeting room they were looking for.) <GGG> BP

Bob Andrews
01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
My mistake. I thought it was The Omaha Maze

Hey Bob, I caught the subtle humor of your use of Omaha Orange in your answer. Well done<G>

DEEPNHOCK
01-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Did you just remember you left something in your room there?:confused::rolleyes:

What is the name of the hotel that the nationals were held in Omaha

41 Frank
01-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, Holiday Inn Central Hotel and Convention Center. You would not recognize the place these days, the parking lot where the concours was held is now a waterpark.

That would be the Holiday Inn Hotel and Convention Center in Omaha :p.

BobPalma
01-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey Bob, I caught the subtle humor of your use of Omaha Orange in your answer. Well done<G>

Very observant, Bob; you are a quick study!

('Come to think of it, is Omaha Orange a color common to some commercial trucks other than Studebakers?) BP

BobPalma
01-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Did you just remember you left something in your room there?:confused::rolleyes:

'Shouldn't be a problem if he did, Jeff.

There's every possibility no one else has been able to find that room since he left anyway! <GGG>

(Frank Van Doorn: You know I'm just making light of the most, ahem, memorable "feature" of that facility. You guys did a wonderful job executing that meet and it was a great time. Bob)

41 Frank
01-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Bob. Embarrassing as it may be for me to admit to, I was unable to find the room where the Cooperator session was being held and just gave up!

'Shouldn't be a problem if he did, Jeff.

There's every possibility no one else has been able to find that room since he left anyway! <GGG>

(Frank Van Doorn: You know I'm just making light of the most, ahem, memorable "feature" of that facility. You guys did a wonderful job executing that meet and it was a great time. Bob)

PlainBrownR2
01-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Yep, it was a real nice meet, that's for sure. If anyone wants to know where the waterpark probably is now, I had some sorry looking view from the hotel room to gaze upon it :rolleyes: :p:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/International%20Studebaker%20Meet%20Omaha/DSC00160.jpg

That was a meet where the trucks came out in force, along with an electric buggy or two, and some great entertainment in the parking lot throughout the week. I picked up an overdrive cable and a few items from Stephen Cade(literally a first, in the years I've been in with the cars :rolleyes:.), and I received a phone call from Aurora University here saying they needed the numbers from my newly acquired parking sticker due to a log jam in the campus security office :eek:. The only problem was I and the car were separated by three states, so I had to clear it up once I got back, which I did. That parking lot was interesting because with all of the activity in it, it teed off a squirrel that kept attacking the people in the parking lot. His lot had been usurped by all of this strange activity, and he was running into the lot, back over the fence, and squawking at the people as they went by :D.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/OurMadSquirrel1.jpg

Somewhere about midweek I wanted to go trainspotting, so I took the car out to the small hobby shop out there, dropped some money on a grain car and a Pullman coach, and then went around to parts of Omaha, notwithstanding down to the area by the Missouri River, and got some pictures of the trains going by. I also stopped in the UP museum and the Council Bluffs Rock Island depot before we went home. Oh, and I couldn't forget the pictures of the DD40 and the Big Boy in the park :cool:

2R5
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
One of our favorite meets we attended...had agreat time , met some new people and a great trip there and back

Bamajak
01-09-2011, 06:33 PM
INTERnational

JRoberts
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes the Omaha meet was a great one. I really enjoyed the tour down to Speedway Motors in Lincoln. I also enjoyed riding in Sheba with Officer Dave on the road course attached to the drag strip where the "Studebaker Drags" were held. (Yes, I know the racing was not an "official" event.) It was an overall great event.

Bob Andrews
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
('Come to think of it, is Omaha Orange a color common to some commercial trucks other than Studebakers?) BP

OT Omaha orange story- TRUE story:

'Long about 1975 my father had on the lot a triple-white 1965 Cadillac Convertible. Very nice car, well above average for its age. With folks still reeling from the 55 cent gas prices the Caddy just drew no interest.

Dad's lot was at his full-service Sinclair station. Across the street was the Town Clock Restaurant, a grill by day and townie bar by night, which Dad also owned. Well one day Dad went over for a 'liquid lunch', and when he came back he told me to bring the Caddy into the end bay. He then told me and his young employee we were going to do a repaint on it; the color? Omaha Orange! So the three of us tore into it; prepped and cut in in one day, shot with Dulux Enamel the next, assembled (carefully) the next. No sanding or buffing, shiny as heck! Cleaned the whitewalls and detailed, and put her on the line...

For two days, folks had fun ribbing Dad about his color choice. Afternoon of the second day it sold, to the wife of the town Pharmacy. That was where I learned the selling power of red and its derivatives:)

I remember that Caddy well. Sure wish I had it today... Even in Omaha Orange;)

BobPalma
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
OT Omaha orange story- TRUE story:

'Long about 1975 my father had on the lot a triple-white 1965 Cadillac Convertible. Very nice car, well above average for its age. With folks still reeling from the 55 cent gas prices the Caddy just drew no interest.

Dad's lot was at his full-service Sinclair station. Across the street was the Town Clock Restaurant, a grill by day and townie bar by night, which Dad also owned. Well one day Dad went over for a 'liquid lunch', and when he came back he told me to bring the Caddy into the end bay. He then told me and his young employee we were going to do a repaint on it; the color? Omaha Orange! So the three of us tore into it; prepped and cut in in one day, shot with Dulux Enamel the next, assembled (carefully) the next. No sanding or buffing, shiny as heck! Cleaned the whitewalls and detailed, and put her on the line...

For two days, folks had fun ribbing Dad about his color choice. Afternoon of the second day it sold, to the wife of the town Pharmacy. That was where I learned the selling power of red and its derivatives:)

I remember that Caddy well. Sure wish I had it today... Even in Omaha Orange;)

OMG! I think I'm going to be ill; a white 1965 Cadillac DeVille convertible changed to Omaha Orange!

Your Dad did live long enough to enjoy the movie Used Cars, didn't he? (In fact, it sounds like he may have written parts of it! <GGG>) BP

Bob Andrews
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Yup, we all thought he was nuts. In fact, he had serious remorse when it was done;) But as was his style, instead of being bothered he had fun laughing at it with everyone else:) he was surprised as anyone when Mrs. Crandall just HAD to have it!:)

Yes Bob, my past is rich with adventures and boondoggles- most of them great memories. RIP Dad.

wayne
01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Thank you very much. No we didnot forget something in the room it just when you get our age you forget everyyhing. I was talking to someone from Omaha and I could not remember were it was at . Thanks again!

Studedude
01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
I also enjoyed riding in Sheba with Officer Dave on the road course attached to the drag strip where the "Studebaker Drags" were held. (Yes, I know the racing was not an "official" event.) It was an overall great event.
Yes, it was!!

I sure had a hard time not challenging that course! Discipline sucks! <G>

Sure enjoyed the company of many friends that week... I think I'd do it again!

JRoberts
01-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Thank you very much. No we didnot forget something in the room it just when you get our age you forget everyyhing. I was talking to someone from Omaha and I could not remember were it was at . Thanks again!

If they do not recognize the name of the facility you can tell them it is on 72nd Street not far from the Interstate.