Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packard an American Car (PBS TV program)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard an American Car (PBS TV program)

I caught this program on PBS tonight and really enjoyed learning about the history of the Packard car and towards the end of the program the merger with Studebaker was covered along with the demise of Packard production in Detroit and finally the dropping of the Packard name by Studebaker.

Here's a link to the information about the program. PBS typically airs programs more than once so check your local PBS TV stations schedule for when it might air again and set your DVR or DVD recorder to record it. A DVD can be ordered as well.

sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

This is a great show. Rich did a great job searching out some amazing cars. My Hawk was the one shown outside as one of the last Packards. What an honor to be a part of this documentary!
    Carey
    Packard Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Dads Baby View Post
      This is a great show. Rich did a great job searching out some amazing cars. My Hawk was the one shown outside as one of the last Packards. What an honor to be a part of this documentary!
      Carey, you are to be commended on having your car in the program. My interest in learning more about Packard was after my family and I visited Afton Station Route 66 Packard Museum in Afton, OK. http://www.postcardsfromtheroad.net/afton.shtml

The museum is a restored 1930's DX gasoline station. The owners Laurel & David Kane are currently adding an additional building behind the station to house more cars and allow for more room to walk between cars as they are really crammed in now. The one that really caught my attention was a 1934 Packard Model 1107 12 cylinder 2-4 passenger coupe. A 2 seater coupe with seating for 2 more in a rumble seat. Here are some of the Packards the Kane's display (photo's from website).

Click image for larger version

Name:	34packard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1666827Click image for larger version

Name:	1940 packard.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1666825Click image for larger version

Name:	48packard.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1666824Click image for larger version

Name:	58 Packard hawk.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1666826
      Last edited by okc63avanti; 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM.
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

John,
        Thanks for teasing me with another possible destination!!!!! My father is the one that got me so facinated with Packards. I love the early cars. Talk about eye candy! They could be in really bad condition and still be beautiful.
        Carey
        Packard Hawk

Comment

Working...
        X