59-60 Larks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59-60 Larks

Any difference at all ? If there is ..... I don't see it .

Canadoug

The differences are slight. For example, the badge at the bottom of the grille is moved from the lower left to the lower center on the '60. The vinyl covering on the top of the dash has stitching on the '60, but not on the '59. There is a thin, chrome band around the outside of each tail lamp on the '59. I think this band is missing on the '60. There may be other differences that I'm not aware of.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Coupe or wagon...?

On most of the 59's the grill has a different pattern thAn the 60 grills....and are very difficult to find.
      The 59 (wagon) has a hard post between the slider window, the 60 does not.
      The side molding, just behind the door...the 59 has a sharp corner vs., the 60's have a large radius.
      The interior door trim is slightly different.
      On the wagons...the upper tail gate on the 59 is a heavy frame, the 60 is very light and small (larger glass).

I have both a 59 and a 60 2dr wagon.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
        There is a thin, chrome band around the outside of each tail lamp on the '59. I think this band is missing on the '60. There may be other differences that I'm not aware of.
        Rog
        That stainless band won't fit on the '60 tail light lenses because they have a curved lens for 1960, flat for 1959. The wiring harnesses are very different. The rear side stainless trim is two piece in 1959, one piece in '60. The 1960 dashes had gold Regal gauges and clocks with silver for DeLuxe only. The '59s only had silver for both Regal and DeLuxe. Some of the switches and knobs are different. The turn signal housings are different. The grills are different. The front fender holes are different because they have a Studebaker emblem on each in 1959: Lark VIII & Lark VI in 1960. Many different color options for each year in and out. Interior trim material and stitching differences. Black and silver Hawk emblems as logos on horn buttons and grill in 1959. Lark emblems on horn button and red emblem on center grill in 1960. No Convert in '59 model year. No 4 door wagon in 1959 model year. Cowl shake weights in 1960 only. I may have missed some.
        Last edited by barnlark; 01-06-2011, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Just a few additions to what's already been talked about. The '59 grill badge and horn button still use the Hawk emblem and were changed to the familiar Lark bird emblems in '60. The speedo needles and number faces on the glass were also different in addition to the Regal color change in '60. The gauge and speaker surrounds are smooth on the '59 and serrated in '60 along with a different background mesh. Headliners went from cloth to vinyl along with the before mentioned changes to the rest of the upholstery. If they had the dual horn option, the second one on a '59 is down low on the opposite inner fender and the '60 has the second one mounted up top in view. Other differences under the hood are pretty hard to spot at a glance, but there are a few.
          Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 01-07-2011, 07:13 AM. Reason: cleared up a thought
          Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Hey Dave, no fair sneaking in the Hawk emblem stuff while I was typing!

Comment

I heard you typing! I forgot about the red lines in the 1959 Speedometers and that metal mesh behind the gauges. I thought the '60 dual horn option was one on top of the front passenger side panel and one down low on the driver's inner fender. That's where mine is in that slot... but I put it there.
              Last edited by barnlark; 01-06-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                I thought the '60 dual horn option was one on top of the front passenger side panel and one down low on the driver's inner fender. That's where mine is in that slot... but I put it there.
                That's where it goes, I was just referring to the second horn up top on the '60, not both. I changed the wording around in my post to make more sense. My '59 support panel doesn't even have that slot to put the second horn up top like a '60, it has the second mount down low opposite the drivers side.
                Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 01-06-2011, 11:39 PM. Reason: lazy proof reading

Comment

'59 to '60 Lark Differences

This is the 1959 Regal only Tail Light Lens, the Deluxe is the same without the plastic mirror chrome Ring.
                  Here is the '59 body side Moulding. This '59 has beautiful '63 Avanti Red (Maroon) Paint. It also has '63 Champ Amber Parking Lt. lenses, a '61-'63 Bumper & '62-'66 Guards, and look'n good with em!
                  This is a '60 Tail light and Side Moulding, also front fender Stude. script vs Lark VI or VIII. Yes this car has a '61 decklid.
                  There are way more subtle little changes than it appears at first look. I especially like the '60 Rear Wire Harness that is routed inside the car instead of along the frame, and has it's own disconnect plug to the Main Harness and so does the steering Column Turn, Stop, and Auto Trans Light Harness.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 01-06-2011, 11:35 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                    Other differences under the hood are pretty hard to spot at a glance, but there are a few.
                    For 1960, on the V8's they went from four valve cover bolts per side to two, except for some very early production cars. And the Climatizer got a removable filter which is visible on the fiberglass housing on the RH inner front fender.

Craig

Comment

Craig, I have never seen a fiberglass heater core without that slot. I never noticed that they were different part numbers! I haven't had a '59 car, just many '59 common to '60 parts.

The valve cover change from the four bolt happened at 60V-13001, so there were quite a few cars made with those "early" ones. My car is in the 20,500 "serialed" month of late November, early December '59. Mid-year 1960 had the Auto-Lite equipped VI models changed to Delco. April 1960 was the date that the removable rubber inspection cover was added for above the carpet instead of under it.
                      More changes I forgot; new arm rests and head rests were available for 1960. Also 1960 Larks had individual split front seats (beginning evolution of the bucket seat years) and 1959 did not have those.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich;516326[B
                        Yes this car has a '61 decklid.[/B]

Very interesting, so do you know if there are differences in the decklids between 59 and 60? because I took a decklid from a 59 and placed it on my 61 and you see the subtle arch along the window edge. (lid fits the opening just stamped different)
                        Your picture show's the (more) flat stamped 61 decklid fitting a 60 body. If that's the case I need to find a 60 deck lid before cutting my 61.

I alway's assumed the 59/60 decklids were the same, your picture may prove otherwise.
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                          Craig, I have never seen a fiberglass heater core without that slot.
                          The housing on my '59 doesn't have the slot, just noticed the '60s were different when I pulled one off last summer.
                          Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                          Very interesting, so do you know if there are differences in the deck lids between 59 and 60?
                          No difference between '59 and '60 decklids. I haven't tried use one between '50-'60 and a '61, so I can't help you on the fit. Looks like it can be done though.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                            No difference between '59 and '60 decklids. I haven't tried use one between '50-'60 and a '61, so I can't help you on the fit. Looks like it can be done though.
                            Well this will bug me all day.

It's my fault I didn't take a picture of the 59 lid on my project to illustrate what I'm talking about.
                            I'll put it back on in a couple of weeks and take a picture.

Maybe it's just the angle of StudeRich's photo....not showing the whole story,
                            Car looks good,
                            Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 01-07-2011, 07:27 AM.
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Even though I'm a '59 Lark Regal owner, I've been enlightened by so many of the above comments. I forgot to mention the differences between the Regal & Deluxe models, plus the wagon differences. Thanks guys.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X