2nd series '55s info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd series '55s info needed

I'm working on an article and need to know the announcement date of the 1955's with the wrap-around windshield. Thanks much!

Um.....I think they already announced it! <g>
    HAAAAA.

Yes, I know..........and I have been called worse.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Here are two links that may help: The first one includes a description of the 1955 model introductions, which was published in Feb 1955 showing the series I styling.
      Popular Mechanics inspires, instructs and influences readers to help them master the modern world. Whether it’s practical DIY home-improvement tips, gadgets and digital technology, information on the newest cars or the latest breakthroughs in science -- PM is the ultimate guide to our high-tech lifestyle.

The second is an ad for the “The newest of the new! Advanced ’55 Studebaker NEW VISIBILITY!……………”, which shows the series II styling, which was published in Mar 1955.
      LIFE Magazine is the treasured photographic magazine that chronicled the 20th Century. It now lives on at LIFE.com, the largest, most amazing collection of professional photography on the internet. Users can browse, search and view photos of today’s people and events. They have free access to share, print and post images for personal use.

Comment

Thanks Much Guys...

The March ad indicates a February change over at the latest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry K View Post
          I'm working on an article and need to know the announcement date of the 1955's with the wrap-around windshield. Thanks much!
          Along with that new Ultra Vista windshield, Air Conditioning, Power windows, and Power seat was added to the option list.

Craig

Comment

Never seen a 55 with AC, I know they did in 1956. But i havent seen everything.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Production began in December 1954 for a January 1955 introduction. I don't know that there was a particular introduction date though.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                Never seen a 55 with AC, I know they did in 1956. But i havent seen everything.
                Would you like to know why that is?

Think of it this way; lets say that today a cheap new Hundae or however they spell it, is $20,000.00, would you pay $5000.00 for the AIR CONDITIONING?

That is about approximately how the comparision works out! Plus no one but people who could afford Lincolns and Cadillacs even THOUGHT about having Air Cond. we were happy to have four roll down windows, two vent windows and two Air Vents to cool us off!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

()Picture removed to conserve space.

It's been posted many times before but...Installed in the trunk, just like Cadillac, had 2 blowers, one for each side of the car and an actual removable air filter.

John
                  Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 01-09-2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the errata and addenda you guys have added to this post. I noticed that none of you mentioned that engines were also up-graded. My 2nd series 55 Commander had a 259. The half year only 224 was dropped for competative reasons, I guess.

Comment

My understanding is that the 224 didn't get much (if any) better gas mileage than the 259 and didn't have the power (plus cost the same to make). And the difference in HP ratings 1st series to 2nd series, was the addition of dual exhaust as standard on some models of the 2nd series. Engines were the same, tho they had different names. (Wasn't one a Bearcat and one a Polecat?)

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry K View Post
                        Thanks for all the errata and addenda you guys have added to this post. I noticed that none of you mentioned that engines were also up-graded. My 2nd series 55 Commander had a 259. The half year only 224 was dropped for competative reasons, I guess.
                        We thought you knew that already.

What is the scope of your article? Are you covering the entire 1955 line; or just the sedans and wagons?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          We thought you knew that already.

What is the scope of your article? Are you covering the entire 1955 line; or just the sedans and wagons?

Craig
                          It covers oddities in the '50s that aren't generally known for various makes. I've uncovered a bunch of things I didn't know while doing research for my web pages, http://resinrealm.net and am trying to put them into some kind of order that makes sense. You'd be amazed at the weird facts you find by accident just looking at color charts for instance.

I'm sure grateful to you guys for turning up a few things about Studebaker I wasn't aware of...and probably should have given my history with Studebaker from '57 to '66. I started my career in the automobile industry as a wash boy at Roseland Motor Sales on Chicago's south side. What glorious days those were! I think I was the luckiest 14 year old kid in the world.

Comment

Working...
                          X