PDA

View Full Version : Something about this car makes me smile...

Jim B PEI
01-04-2011, 06:32 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-Studebaker-Commander-V-8-ESTATE-SALE-/280611573552?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4155c0cf30

Not sure why, but oddly, I like it, I really like it. Perhaps its because its an estate sale, and someone's cherished vision is getting sold on Ebay. Perhaps its because it is being described as a 1955 Studebaker Deluxe 16G8 which isn't quite how I would have described it, but... Perhaps its the chrome bits, the colours, the interior fabric (!! but it needs mini chandeliers of the oriental or Liberace style to complete the look.) I even have a soft spot for the exhaust system. It looks like a 'fun' drive, after some tweaks and small fixes.

Oh, I'd like to have this, take it to car shows and face anyone down by stating very firmly that this was a special order of the type Studebaker was famous for, with lots of faux documentation, faux build sheets, faux magazine articles and so forth to back it up. One thing, I 'd change the stereo for something 1955-ish from some eurocar that had AM and shortwave or something like that.

sweetolbob
01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Jim

Oddly enough, I agree with you. For the right price, there is a lot to like. Style is fine, stance is right and it looks pretty solid overall.

A few improvements and some detailing would make it a neat car to drive.

Bob

Bob Andrews
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
How funny you should say that! When I saw it there was something special about it for me as well. I wonder what she'll draw...

JDP
01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
How funny you should say that! When I saw it there was something special about it for me as well. I wonder what she'll draw...

I think the lister has some sort of mild meld going on with his description. The nicely staged and great photo's, with the low key write up sort of grabbed me also.

beatnik64
01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I think this car is way awesome, If I could swing it right now I would pick it up in a heart beat, which is funny cause I've never had a huge heart for 53-55 but this thing look great. I think the hawk hood brings it alive for me, however the lack of a studebaker driveline makes me unhappy, that would have to go in exchange for an
R1 or perhaps a stock 289/259 with a cool Edmunds intake. some really 50's slick.

Chris Pile
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
I like it, too.
(but those wheels gotta go!)

sals54
01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
This is one coooool custom. I would love to have that baby sittin in my garage anytime. I really like the gold trim around the windows. I'm considering a nice gold paint job on my 54. My son is have a fit over it, but I think with some green metallic trim it could work. This car is inspiring me.

Bob Andrews
01-09-2011, 09:39 PM
One day left, at only $3800 with no reserve. At that price I wouldn't be surprised to see the listing pulled right at the end. Still, if I had one less Stude here I'd be bidding for sure!

comatus
01-09-2011, 10:12 PM
When it comes to interiors, discretion is the better part of velour.

JeffDeWitt
01-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Looks a lot like my first car, a red definned 60 Hawk with a black roof. I don't much care for the Chebby motor either but that would be a fun car to have.

(Lets see, it might be a 55 but it's really a prototype of the new Hawk with a McKinnon engine... yeah that's it <G>)

JeffDeWitt
01-09-2011, 10:17 PM
When it comes to interiors, discretion is the better part of velour.

That's TERRIBLE! <BG>

woodysrods
01-10-2011, 12:00 AM
I think this car is way awesome, If I could swing it right now I would pick it up in a heart beat, which is funny cause I've never had a huge heart for 53-55 but this thing look great. I think the hawk hood brings it alive for me, however the lack of a studebaker driveline makes me unhappy, that would have to go in exchange for an
R1 or perhaps a stock 289/259 with a cool Edmunds intake. some really 50's slick.
My motto has always been, "you will always be able to get more money, but old cars don't come along everyday" So if you like it ...Buy it!
Good Roads
Brian
PS I guess that is why I currently have 26 cars???? and no money!

avantilover
01-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Brian, I imagine if you keep the cars and sell the wife you'll have plenty of money (laughs).

avantilover
01-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Car sold for $6415.

Bob Andrews
01-11-2011, 05:04 AM
My motto has always been, "you will always be able to get more money, but old cars don't come along everyday"

I partially agree. You're right about the money; but I've found that no matter how rare a car is, there's always another one out there. It's just a matter of time before it surfaces.

At least, that's how I got through liquidating most of my collection over the last two years...

Stude-Dude
01-11-2011, 05:50 AM
It's just a matter of time before it surfaces.

i'm still waiting for a '56 DeSoto ADVENTURER to surface...
i saw one at a car show when i was about 9 or 10 or so, haven't seen one since :(