Hawk Sheetmetal Prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Sheetmetal Prices?

What should one expect to pay for very good to excellent rust-free used sheetmetal for GT Hawks - trunk lid, hood, rear fenders, doors, front fenders, front air deflector?

Any cost differences due to location (ie, East Coast versus West Coast)?

Are GT Hawk doors interchangeable with '57/'58 K-body Hawk doors (besides the obvious trim hole differences)?

Thanks for any insight...........
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

LOTS! especially for good Westcoast stuff!!
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

What should one expect to pay for very good to excellent rust-free used sheetmetal for GT Hawks - trunk lid, hood, rear fenders, doors, front fenders, front air deflector?
      Way more than the finished car would be worth.

FWIW, one of the problems with trying to completely rebuild a car is while there is still some sheetmetal and windshield/back glass out there, it costs so much to crate and ship, I don't even try to sell it. I've got a '56J parts car plus extra hood and deck lid. I don't advertise the big pieces as I don't want the hassle of crating and shipping, regardless of what it would sell for. To pay someone to crate a hood and haul it to a freight dock would cost more than the price of the hood. Maybe someone in a large metro area will take it all at once and be able to sell it off locally.

jack vines

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

Any cost differences due to location (ie, East Coast versus West Coast)?

Are GT Hawk doors interchangeable with '57/'58 K-body Hawk doors (besides the obvious trim hole differences)?

Thanks for any insight...........
        Maybe 4-6K for all of that in good shape.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I still have a complete, running 62 GT with 4-speed/TT, even decent interior. The floors have been patched but the reinforcements and the frame are completely shot. All the body panels are pretty decent. I've been asked about selling sheet metal occasionally but I'm waiting for a clean frame and body shell onto which I could transfer everything. Maybe I should sell it complete for someone else to do; I'd prefer my GT keeper to have Powershift instead of 4-speed.

Your best bet would be to keep feelers out and assemble everything piecemeal semi-locally. You can find ways to get the parts to you with a little patience.

If you don't have any luck, think about mine. Maybe we can work something out in the Spring.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

There is also the occasional barn find, or auction car that comes up. I have a line on several dry Hawks but have to wait a month or so to go get them. If you wanted a complete body on a frame they average 800-1800. Most have no interior, engines or may be missing a fender or some glass. A 'complete one' may run just over $2 K. The shipping prices did go up a bit, but the cost of the car plus shipping will save you money compared to new floor pans and patch panels+ labor to do it right...........

Keep posting you want one, and someone will find one sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
              There is also the occasional barn find, or auction car that comes up. I have a line on several dry Hawks but have to wait a month or so to go get them. If you wanted a complete body on a frame they average 800-1800. Most have no interior, engines or may be missing a fender or some glass. A 'complete one' may run just over $2 K. The shipping prices did go up a bit, but the cost of the car plus shipping will save you money compared to new floor pans and patch panels+ labor to do it right...........

Keep posting you want one, and someone will find one sooner or later.
              I am confused, it this Mike or Alan? Just trying to keep it straight

Yes, I do occasionally post about finding a shell, but it's WAAAY down my list, years off. Don Jones had one for me last year in PA- solid shell, floors, and frame, nothing else; and the price was right. And I could have picked it up myself. Another member saw us discussing it on the forum and mentioned he really needed one for the restoration of a Super Hawk; so I backed off and let it go to him. I'm confident I'll find another solid one nearer than a $1500 shipping bill; my experience is they ARE out there. What would change that is if I needed one faster.

Maybe someone will have one they'll bring East to SB or the IM, or even York, and that would work as well.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob, Its Mike A Gahlbeck, and I'm trying to fix it among other typos I had when the forum changed over...... and thats Ferndale, not ferdale, WA

I went in to fix it and it remains

Comment

Now that the Forum loading problem "appears" to be fixed, I wanted to get this thread back in view.

What I was really trying to determine is what is a price range for very good to excellent rust free GT sheet metal for each piece......i.e., hood price range, door price range, trunk lid price range, etc.

Sorry I wasn't clear on my first post.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                    Bob, Its Mike A Gahlbeck, and I'm trying to fix it among other typos I had when the forum changed over...... and thats Ferndale, not ferdale, WA

I went in to fix it and it remains
                    Ok Mike, I got it now, thanks! Watch out, when word gets out you'll have all kinds of kooky folks finding silly reasons as to why you changed your user name
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      What I was really trying to determine is what is a price range for very good to excellent rust free GT sheet metal for each piece......i.e., hood price range, door price range, trunk lid price range, etc.
                      Paul, I wouldn't be sure what those prices would be. I'm sure someone will be along to give it a shot.
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Gee Paul surely you aren't parting out your GT . David

Comment

Sheet Metal

PauL
                          I think most of the forum members would pay 5 to 6 dollars a part if you provide shipping.
                          Scrap prices are higher.
                          Jack White
                          Charlotte,NC
                          North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

There is a pair of rear quarters for a GT Hawk on ebay. 5 days left.
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by prez55 View Post
                              Gee Paul surely you aren't parting out your GT . David
                              Yep, sure am. Trying to get an idea of value range for the sheetmetal. This was originally a California car that came to Greensboro NC in the late '70s IIRC. I've had it since about '85 and has been in my basement the whole time. The only rust on the entire car is some surface rust where your feet would be on the front floorboards. Rest of the floors pretty much are still factory paint. Car is partially disassembled (interior/dash/etc all out except for headliner, engine/trans out, front suspension off, trim off) and I can't hardly find time to finish the projects that I want to keep much less reassemble this just to sell it.

Help on sheetmetal values would sure be appreciated!
                              Last edited by r1lark; 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM.
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X