Lark exhaust pipe bending FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark exhaust pipe bending FAIL

I borrowed a buddy's pipe bender yesterday and was less then pleased with the results. I worked at an exhaust shop in the early 80's so had some experience bending pipe. When I used the hand-pumped version of the hydraulic pipe bender at creating anything near 45 degee bends I would get nasty kinks in the pipe. It was really cold and windy yesterday, so my little woodstove was only able to get the garage heated up to the 30's. I wonder if the cold metal played into my problems at all?

So has anyone replaced a Lark VI exhaust lately and what did it cost?? I suppose no one stocks the pipes anymore. It looks like I will have to go that route and have an exhaust shop make it. That rather pisses me off.

Next time, try this...
    Tack weld the appropriate sized freeze plug in one end of your pipe.
    Fill it with full of dry sand.
    Put another freeze plug in the other end and tack weld it, too.
    Bend it. Grind off your tack welds...
    Works good, and is CASO* cheap.
    HTIH
    Jeff
    * CASO (Term currently on the forum PC speech endangered species list)
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-02-2011, 09:44 AM. Reason: To add wry, dry, and bad humor <lol>..
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff beat me to it, That's why mandrel benders were invented. What you did works OK with schedule 40 but not thin wall.

The main reason I'm posting is to warn you, If you try to heat the pipes to help bending with the sand, be sure the sand is really, really dry. Nothing good comes from moisture in a heated sealed thin wall tube.

Bob

Comment

I bought one of those sh...ty hydraulic benders when I opened my shop. It is the leakiest sh...tiest piece of crape I have ever owned. The thing it does the worst is bend pipe (thin wall exhaust tubing anyway), but it does work well for re arcing springs.
        Take your pipes to a local muffler shop and have them bent. I do this often and my local midas guy now charges me $2.00 per bend or so for the staff beer fund.
        Make good marks on your pipes and a "good"wire template" I use rebar as it does not lose its shape in transport.
        Good Roads
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Parks Pipes still has them. I recently bought a 60 Lark VI that came with a complete new exhaust, taped together for shipping. If you are interested I will get the address off the shipping label and you can contact them.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Parks Pipes still has them. I recently bought a 60 Lark VI that came with a complete new exhaust, taped together for shipping. If you are interested I will get the address off the shipping label and you can contact them.
            Hey, thanks, Bob. That could be helpful.

Comment

or Silvertone Exhaust should be able to fix you right up as well, and "stainless is forever."

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I didn't know Silvertone did 6-bangers. Still would be a lot more than regular steel, of course.

I'll look that info up and post it tomorrow, Paul.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

yes they do, price list here

nate
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Here, Paul:

Parks Pipes
                    544 Banta Rd.
                    West Manchester OH 45382

The two pipes show hand-written numbers: 1547698 & 1547762
                    The muffler is new in the box from SASCO.

An after-the-fact search turned up a web page:

Let us know what you end up doing!
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Here, Paul:

Parks Pipes
                      544 Banta Rd.
                      West Manchester OH 45382

The two pipes show hand-written numbers: 1547698 & 1547762
                      The muffler is new in the box from SASCO.

An after-the-fact search turned up a web page:

Let us know what you end up doing!
                      Thanks, Bob. I will give them a call. I am too CASO to go stainless. ;-)

Comment

I have asked this before (I guess I am a glutton for punishment), But I keep
                        hearing the exhaust system questions, and I keep askin', why not take it to
                        a muffler shop? I mean, I am the #1 CASO, and I even do that. CHEAPER,
                        EASIER, and QUICKER.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                          I have asked this before (I guess I am a glutton for punishment), But I keep
                          hearing the exhaust system questions, and I keep askin', why not take it to
                          a muffler shop? I mean, I am the #1 CASO, and I even do that. CHEAPER,
                          EASIER, and QUICKER.
                          and I may just do that when I get the price. The car is up on jack stands at the moment and I admit I have been taking my sweet time about. I can't drive for at least another couple of months anyhow.

Comment

Paul, I just sent you a pm.
                            Originally posted by Tahiti Coral View Post
                            and I may just do that when I get the price. The car is up on jack stands at the moment and I admit I have been taking my sweet time about. I can't drive for at least another couple of months anyhow.
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                            X