PDA

View Full Version : Now I've seen it all

JDP
12-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Check out this Avanti II and look at the "good hog troughs" and repaired frame:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Avanti-II-/110630353705?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19c2153b29

I think the metal plates screwed on to cover over the hog troughs is a nice touch.

Bob Andrews
12-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Oh no:(... that's Dick Lindsey from Ohio. He's had and sold a lot of Studes; currently has a $21K GH and a running GH chassis for sale too. I wonder how he thinks that's a proper repair?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/lindsey20/m.html

Looking at the paint under the GH, combined with the Avanti troughs, it makes me pretty skeptical of whatever he's selling...

mnmfive
12-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Looks like you have some stiff competition there. Too bad you listed yours at the same time! LOL
Hey John, don't remember if I asked you what the proper hose clamps are for my 58 Pres????

ddub
12-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Another cheap Avanti!

royvaldez
12-31-2010, 06:04 PM
It does not surprise me.

barnlark
01-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Glass houses.

leyrret
01-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Maybe he did what I did on 56j. I cut access to derust & paint the inside the boxes and installed removable covers for later access if necessary. I also have access to the inside of rockers under the thresholds. A bit excessive perhaps but allows observation for any corrosion on inside and address if it turns up.

StudeMichael
01-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Two words,,,,SPELL CHECK!!

PackardV8
01-01-2011, 08:30 PM
How come no one has called BS on advertising the car as a "1978 Studebaker"? Seller's got to know better but chooses to falsely describe the car to rope in anyone doing a Studebaker search.

jack vines

JDP
01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Maybe he did what I did on 56j. I cut access to derust & paint the inside the boxes and installed removable covers for later access if necessary. I also have access to the inside of rockers under the thresholds. A bit excessive perhaps but allows observation for any corrosion on inside and address if it turns up.

Perhaps, or maybe the it was done by a previous owner. I would recommend that the panels be removed for inspection of the troughs condition though. I had just never seen panels over the troughs before, maybe they were done with the frame repair, and done over new troughs ?

studegary
01-02-2011, 01:43 PM
How come no one has called BS on advertising the car as a "1978 Studebaker"? Seller's got to know better but chooses to falsely describe the car to rope in anyone doing a Studebaker search.

jack vines

This used to bother me, but I understand why people use the Studebaker name with all Avanti listings on eBay.

EBay used to have Avanti on their long list of vehicles that you can list under or search for. I guess it was a couple/few years ago that eBay dropped the Avanti. By putting Studebaker in the listing title, many people that associate Avanti with Studebaker as well as those that search Studebaker will find the listing as well as those that seek out the Avanti name.

Ideal would be to get eBay to reinstate the Avanti name in their car brands listing. There must be many other brands on their list that do not have many sales listings. They had Avanti before. Maybe it was just eliminated due to error or misinformation. Perhaps someone at eBay does not understand that Avanti was a brand name from 1965 to 2007.

sbca96
01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
A 1978 Avanti is more Studebaker then Chevy .. so its fair to classify it as a Studebaker.
If you were to go buy just about ANY mechanical part on it, you would be buying Stude.

Tom

JDP
01-02-2011, 06:18 PM
A 1978 Avanti is more Studebaker then Chevy .. so its fair to classify it as a Studebaker.
If you were to go buy just about ANY mechanical part on it, you would be buying Stude.

Tom

I don't know about that, the engine and much of the interior is unique, but I can't fault listing it with Studebaker in the title for the reasons Gary mentioned. A a example, I might list them as XXXX Avanti II, Studebaker" so a Studebaker search will pick one up..

PackardV8
01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
A 1978 Studebaker, or "das ding an sich" - A philosophical term often used by Immanuel Kant, among others, roughly translated as 'the thing as such' or 'the thing in itself'. With that, Kant meant an existence that is independent, not connected to the understanding of man. Das Ding an Sich is the world by itself, before it is adjusted to fit the requirements of reason.

According to Kant, the only fact we can know about das Ding an sich is that such things do exist. Since everything we perceive is affected by our ideas about understanding and reason, das Ding an sich is of course entirely beyond our grasp.

Thus, declared Kant, we should not waste our time wondering about what things are really like, since we can never get accurate, untainted information about things as they truly are. Kant was content to concentrate on the appearances of things - otherwise, we could never get any information at all, since everything we think we know about things as such is already tainted by our perception.

jack vines

sbca96
01-03-2011, 05:01 AM
I don't know about that, the engine and much of the interior is unique.

Mechanically its a Studebaker, true the engine and trans are Chevy, but thats where the
discounts stop, after that your dealing with special order parts. Had a '78 Avanti II, the
seats were Recaros I believe, but then my Avanti is a '63 and I have '97 Camaro seats in
it. I wouldnt classify it as a '97 Camaro because of it. My dad has a '69 Avanti II, it has
the same seats my Avanti used to have. I have worked on each car, and to be honest,
for the majority of the work done, you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. Once
the Avanti became the Monte Avanti, I think it moved away from Studebaker. The frame
is really the deciding factor IMO, your not going to get rear leafs at AutoZone. ;)

Tom

studegary
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I make the break by the company that built them and the brand name involved. 1963 and 1964 Avantis were built by Studebaker, the brand was Studebaker and the model was Avanti. The 1965-2007 Avantis were made by several different companies, none of which were Studebaker. The brand was Avanti for 1965-2007.

tluz
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as sloshed as Schlegel.

and

tluz
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM
-Monty Python

candbstudebakers
01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Here we go again, to say an Avanti built by Newman and Altman in not an Avanti is nuts, with out them were would we be now? all that inventory that Studebaker International just got is some 45 years older and would not be here today if it was not for them, They loved the Avanti and wanted to keep it alive, they did a damn good job doing just that ,its after they sold it that most changes were made, if you have not owned one don't knock it, I have see a lot of junk 63 and 64 "real" Avantis in my days and have owned a few but would not trade my 67 for most of the drivers I have seen .

jlmccuan
01-05-2011, 12:22 AM
My '65 Avanti II, engine aside, probably has more original Studebaker parts than a lot of '63 and '64 Avanti's if we split another hair and say repro parts aren't Studebaker. Depends where you draw the line. I suppose some would argue that line could be at round headlights, others at Chevy engines, still more at frames. Maybe the line should be at bodies assembled by MFG rather than later Studebaker bodies or back again at MFG. How about when production moved to Youngstown. Now I'm confused. What was the question? Oh right, it had noting to do with this. Never mind....

PackardV8
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
We're getting way off topic and pulling the trigger on old rants without reading what was actually said.
Here we go again, to say an Avanti built by Newman and Altman in not an Avanti is nuts, The previous discussion was never about which were Avanti. It was never suggested the N & A cars are not Avanti. They've all been badged and titled Avanti (or Avant II). That's a fact an no one can argue otherwise. Another fact is, was, and will always be, only the 1963 and 1964 are Studebaker Avanti. Argue parts content percentages, make excuses, hope to snag more eBay searches with incorrect terminology, doesn't change the facts.

jack vines