Champion Promotion Key????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Promotion Key????

Maybe someone out their (*cough* Richard Quinn *Cough*) can help identify this piece I picked up at a non-studebaker swap meet a couple of months ago, I brought it to the attention of few people in the club and all have said they've never seen it before and neither have I.

I'm just looking for about what area it came from, where they were given out, and what was the thought behind it......

or maybe I'm dumb and these things are everywhere and I've never noticed...

so dig it...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by beatnik64; 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM.

Yes, that was a promotion in either 1927 or 1928. A rare item. I have one around here someplace but have not seen it in a few years. Be proud that you have one of very few in existence!
    Now you will have to find a lock it will fit!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

THANKS RICHARD!
      somehow I knew you'd know.

and is far as a lock... I'll keep my eyes peeled, but for now its safe in my desk drawer... haha thanks

Comment

Was there ever a "Champion Eight". And Champions came out in 1939, right? Not sure I understand the key.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
          Was there ever a "Champion Eight". And Champions came out in 1939, right? Not sure I understand the key.
          You are correct that the first car called the Champion was introduced in 1939. Note the capital "C." However after Studebaker began breaking stock car records in the mid to late 1920's they referred to the cars as champions, note the small "c," as in champions in racing an endurance. Studebaker continued using the word champion in describing their cars thru the '30's. In fact the cover of the full line 1935 catalog was "Studebaker Champions 1935." Now you know "the rest of the story."
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Cool stuff....

Comment

And the Champion name came out to replace the Dictator name because of the outbreak of WW2.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                And the Champion name came out to replace the Dictator name because of the outbreak of WW2.
                No, not exactly. While both the Dictator and Champion were Studebaker's low-price offering there was absolutely no other connection between the two. Actually the Commander name was resurrected to replace the Dictator in 1938 (there was no Commander built in the model years 1936 or 1937). The Champion was introduced in the Spring of 1939 and it was all new. It replaced nothing but added a new model to compete with the Ford, Chevrolet and Plymouth with a base starting price of $660 (Custom Coupe).
                Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 12-31-2010, 12:04 AM.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

If I gave the wife a Studebaker for Christmas ..... I think she would shoot me !!!
                  sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386
                  Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                  X