PDA

View Full Version : Studebakers at the California Auto Museum

Sdude
12-29-2010, 12:49 PM
On January 2nd, 2011, the Karel Staple Chapter will be displaying their Studebakers again for the California Auto Museum's Car Club Cavalcade. Being the editor of our newsletter and the Museum's Docent class instructor for Studebaker, I have prepared the placards that will be used for the display. I like to use a central theme for my narratives. Last year it was Bob Bourke.

This year the theme is "Studebaker - We Invented Cool"

We will have seven cars in our display. I will post each one separately. This is the first posting. (they will not be posted in sequence)

This is Gary Grant's 52. Below it is the narrative.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5303556645_43fe9820f6_b.jpg

STUDEBAKER – We Invented COOL

1952 was the 100 year anniversary of the Studebaker Corporation. The first fifty years was spent building wagons and carriages while the second fifty was spent building cars. Studebaker had a wild new design in the works but did not have enough time to get it to production for its centennial. This car was the last re-style to the first post war car.
The bullet nose was gone and a toothy “clam digger” or “Shark” grill was added. This grill gave the car a lower look and was a good transition to the new models that would be released the following year. The Starliner hardtop was also a big change to the original design that successfully updated a six year old body style to match what was happening elsewhere in Detroit.

Gary wanted a rod-look for his car but wanted to keep the original drivetrain. This 1952 Studebaker was an ideal car for the concept. With its sleek lines and an aggressive looking grill, one would think this to be a hot rod to recon with. But, alas, underneath that hood purrs the soul of a pussy-cat.

This car is equipped with a Champion Six flathead engine and a three speed manual transmission shifted on the column.

This car is also equipped with Hill Holder. Hill Holder was a great option offered by Studebaker that allows you to take your foot off the brake pedal so you can work the clutch. Just try driving a Stick shift car in San Francisco without it.

I would say Gary’s concept of a cool looking classic with the original powertrain was a monumental success.

This car SCREAMS COOL…..

sweetolbob
12-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I would never have thought original six cylinder when I saw the wheels and tires. Very pretty car.

Bob

royvaldez
12-29-2010, 02:09 PM
That is a bitchin car. As boyd of Hot Rod Classic would say.

Bob Andrews
12-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Gorgeous. Thanks for my new monitor wallpaper:)

Bob54
12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Looking forward to seeing the exhibit in January. Thanks for posting the info and pic.

Chris Pile
12-29-2010, 04:16 PM
GREAT LOOKING '52 - Wow!

Bob Andrews
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Offered that car or a C/K in comparable condition, I'd take the 52 hands down, without hesitation. Love 'em!

And that's not a knock on C/Ks either.

Sdude
01-02-2011, 04:56 PM
So, I bumped up the older threads to get them closer together. We got the display in the museum today and you can see all of the cars individually and read the narratives.

It looks great and will be in the museum until February 5th.

Go see it if you are near Sacramento.