New member seeking advice, encouragement and a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member seeking advice, encouragement and a car

I'll be the next in line to raise my hand and say howdy to you all. Been into Studebakers since assembling a Johan model Lark when I was 13 or 14, but never pulled the trigger and bought the real thing. Since I'll be turning 16 next year for the 19th time (or so), I figured winter would be a good a time as any to join the club, warm up the keyboard and hunt down a car to enjoy when things thaw out.

I'd love to find in or around Ohio a four door so I can take the kids for a ride. I'm mainly looking for something from mid-1950's on to the end in decent running order. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, since that's half the fun! I'm already looking for the latest edition of TW in the mail and rummaging through the forum.

Speaking of which, I'd like to thank the organizers and webmasters who run the forum for putting together a really fine place for new guys like me to figure out what's what.

-Andy

Welcome!
    You just missed a 1963 four door in nice shape in Ohio that was on the Forum and then sold ths month on eBay.
    I don't think that you will have to watch the Forum and follow eBay and Craigslist long to find something. You are looking in the lower cost segment of Studebakers.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just posted this yesterday.

Fits your description almost perfectly... I (and the car) are in south Georgia. Email me mbstude@gmail.com if you're interested.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Go to the Studebaker Drivers Club home page and check the Turning Wheels ads. Also check the chapter page and contact the nearest Chapter.
        You will learn a lot here and get lots of help.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

I would suggest a 55 V/8, 3 speed with O.D. if you are buying a 4 door. It would have a great
          engine and before the larger Bodies. Just my opinion. If you like the larger bodies, Matthew
          has a cool car.

Comment

Andy, I sent you a pm.
            Originally posted by ColsCommander View Post
            I'll be the next in line to raise my hand and say howdy to you all. Been into Studebakers since assembling a Johan model Lark when I was 13 or 14, but never pulled the trigger and bought the real thing. Since I'll be turning 16 next year for the 19th time (or so), I figured winter would be a good a time as any to join the club, warm up the keyboard and hunt down a car to enjoy when things thaw out.

I'd love to find in or around Ohio a four door so I can take the kids for a ride. I'm mainly looking for something from mid-1950's on to the end in decent running order. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, since that's half the fun! I'm already looking for the latest edition of TW in the mail and rummaging through the forum.

Speaking of which, I'd like to thank the organizers and webmasters who run the forum for putting together a really fine place for new guys like me to figure out what's what.

-Andy
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Welcome aboard the ship to Studom! A Stude definantly is the premier choice of automobile, take it from someone your age who owns one. Good luck on finding a car. Keep your eyes peeled on the side of the road, I have spotted 3 neglected Studebakers in my town alone in which one fits your description perfectly.
              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
              Lizella, GA

Comment

Welcome!
                Here's the page with the Ohio SDC Chapters.

Most in your area are active in the "Heart of Ohio" Chapter, but since you're seeking a car, you might contact each of them or attend some of their events. You never know what you might find...
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the right car for you and your family. Your kids will enjoy jumping into an old Studebaker. I think Matthew has the perfect car for you. he has done tons of work on that 58.

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                  Welcome aboard the ship to Studom! A Stude definantly is the premier choice of automobile, take it from someone your age who owns one. .
                  Sorry Alex our newest forum member is a young guy just not as young as you,.... I put him at about 35 years. He states he turned 16, 19 times or so
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                  PSMCDR 2013
                  Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Welcome aboard, You'll find the people on our forum a very friendly lot in spite of envying your 16 years. Your idea of a 4-door starting car is sound and I wish you luck finding a suitable vehical. I have to echo the post recommending a 55 with V-8 and OD. I have that combo and find it a great driver. Please post questions as you get farthur into your search; it cant hurt to get opinions.

Good Luck
                    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Many, many thanks to all who have replied and especially your encouragement. I will take everyone's advice and try to get ahold of my local chapter(s) and see if I can't get more involved. If for nothing else, it's a great excuse to get out of the house this winter.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a V8 car. How much more comfortable does overdrive make driving? I'm used to other makes (ahem, Rambler) with pretty bog standard Borg-Warner 3-speeds, and though flathead sixes make things pretty pokey, I haven't really had an experience with an overdrive equipped car.

Comment

If you are already familiar with a 3 speed manual shift the overdrive will just make the driving sweeter.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

overdrive: lower revs at cruising speed = less wear & tear on engine and drivetrain. bonus - better gas mileage. winner!!!

good luck on the search. if you find a decent finned hawk or bullet nose you don't want, let me know...
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I was going to suggest that 58 too.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                              overdrive: lower revs at cruising speed = less wear & tear on engine and drivetrain. bonus - better gas mileage. winner!!!

good luck on the search. if you find a decent finned hawk or bullet nose you don't want, let me know...
                              My President (4 Door) has standard transmission and OD. I drove it from Ontario Canada to Cedar Rapids Iowa two summers ago. Gave reasonable gas mileage (same as or better than my '66 Cruiser), kept up with traffic and rode extremely well. Nice thing about this car is that much of the running gear is the same as or similar to the newer model Studebakers.
                              My '55
                              sigpic
                              55 President Deluxe
                              64 Commander
                              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                              X