Studebaker information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker information

hi, my name is Jaden and I am 10 years old (almost 11). My uncle has a 1942 Champion 2 door sedan that he wants me to help him find out stuff about. So I joined here to see if I can find out.

would any of you have an idea for me to start with? Maybe something on where to start looking.

my uncle wants to know how many were made, what type of engine and transmission it had, all that knid of stuff. Really, I just want to help him find out as much information as I can, so any help i would really thank you for.

Jaden

Hi Jaden. You have certainly come to the right place if you want to find info. I would start by posting some photos of the car. Other info can be found by looking at the numbers on the vin tag and body tag. If you need parts, I reccomend Studebaker International.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Welcome Jaden where are you from or where is the Car? What State & Town . We can direct you to local SDC members that can help locally. Here are a couple of Links for you.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Hey Jaden, welcome to the forum! Good to see another young person here, you got the few young guys beat for age. Including myself (17) there is 3 16-17 Y-O's and one 20? year old on the forum now. I agree with Chris, if you can could you post some pictures and the info on the body tags? The engine should be a (To others here, if I am wrong please correct me. Pre war isn't my forte) 170 cubic inch flat head six. I'm not sure on the other stuff, as the oldest thing I own is from '52 Good luck!
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

hi jaden. when i was working on my avanti, i used the "search" feature in the upper right hand corner of the page to find a lot of answers. you may also want to check out bob johnstone's site: studebakerinfo.org

now make sure your uncle lets you help fixing up the car - and have fun!!!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Dylan, trying to think on the engine size. For some reason I thought my '40 has a 185. I could be wrong, I can't remember.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              Dylan, trying to think on the engine size. For some reason I thought my '40 has a 185. I could be wrong, I can't remember.
              The 185 was only produced from '55-'58. A '40 would have a 170 C.I. engine. (Richard Quinn, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Welcome aboard! Your Uncle's car should look something like this...

Last edited by mbstude; 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Jaden:
                Your uncle is a very wise man to put you in charge of information gathering.
                Thank him for me and I'm sure for a lot of other people on this board.
                Gentle men... give this young man ANY and ALL the continued help you can.
                His is the participation that's needed in this hobby and on this board.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

According to the SDC 6 cylinder engine index, a 1940 Champion would have had a 164" engine, originally. It probably had a Studebaker designed manual 3 speed transmission installed when new. Not sure if Borg-Warner built those transmissions to spec for them in 1940, or not. Any pictures of what you have now would help us to help you identify want you now have in the car, Jaden. Welcome, we're here to help.

Comment

Photos and data from the 24 page 1942 Champion color showroom catalog. I have extra copies if interested. Note the Chamion had two trim levels
                    in '42, one the Custom and second the more expensive Deluxstyle. You can see the trim below the side windows on the Deluxstyle (above) is the most obvious difference.
                    You can also check the body plate on the firewall, the Custom would have a code of 4G F3 and the Deluxstyle 4G F5. You should really join the Antique Studebaker Club to recive lots of supporting material, parts sources etc. Information at: http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com/
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hi Jaden,

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see younger people getting involved with Studebaker's. Your uncle's car is quite rare. I only have information on how many Champions were built for all models (29,678.) The car had a 110" wheelbase and possessed an Inline 6cyl of 169.6
                      CID (Cubic inch displacement) producing 80 horse power. The engine has a bore and stroke of 3.00 X 4.00. I do know someone who drove a 1942 Champion to a chapter car show in LA but that was the only one I've seen. Good luck in your quest, it will be very rewarding when you find what your looking for.

Glenn
                      Last edited by MyStude_51; 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

That's funny,

Richard Quinn beat me to my post, in fact a lot people did while I was typing. Listen to Richard he knows more about prewar than anyone. My information came from the American Car encyclopedia of American cars dating back to 1930. It's pretty accurate overall, especially if your looking for a rare car you know nothing about. The only set back is it doesn't cover cars before that time and I can't find an earlier old car encyclopedia. Bummer.

Comment

Working...
                        X