Studebaker Conversation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Conversation

Sunday on my way home from Palmdale I stopped in California City for gas. [I tend to meander, my kids call it my adventures.]
    On the way to the station I noticed a car in front of me, pull over then fall in behind me.
    At the station he pulled along side, rolled down his window and began this conversation:

Him: Is that a 52?

It's a 55....Studebaker. [President, 4 door]
    Him: Oh I thought it was a Kaiser Frazer. They have the same profile Ya know. Can I ask what it is worth?

I really don't know.
    Him: Ya ought to check it out, I bet you could get $25,000 for it all fixed up.

It's my driver, I really don't care. The guy I bought it from did the mechanicals and more, I'll do paint, upholstery and "stuff".....And drive it, that's what it's for.
    Him: You could put some money into it and get $25,000 for it.

I could probably put $20,000 into it and get $19,000. But I don't care, it's my driver.
    Him: No! No! You could get $25,000 for it.

Then I wouldn't be able to drive it
    Him: You could buy a brand new car.

I wouldn't want to.
    Him: pause.....well maybe. [drives off, end of conversation]

That was the first real Studebaker based "conversation" I've had. Interesting. The guy couldn't understand why I didn't want to "make money on it" to buy a new car.
    I've had people talk with me, questions and stories, neat stuff, but nothing like this.
    I even have extra old copies of Turning Wheels that I carry with me and hand out if their interested. He didn't hang around long enough to get one.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

..and I thought all the strange people were here in NYC!!! Strange but true, you can't make this stuff up.
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
    X