John M Studebaker, Hispanic debutantes and 1925 cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John M Studebaker, Hispanic debutantes and 1925 cars

As incongruous as those three topics in the title may seem you find all of them in this single photo postal card from my collection. I have superimposed the information on the back of the card to the front (lower right) so the viewer can perhaps understand what is going on in the photo. The cars on either side are 1925-26 model ER Standard Sixes. The John M Studebaker plaque in the center was created in the early 1920s by noted sculptor Julio Kilenyi. This plaster of paris version was sent out to most dealers at the time of its creation. It measures 18" in diameter and is 3/4" thick. A much smaller likeness of the Kilenyi work was used for the early employee service medals and later the service pins.
    (Note; My alternate title to this thread was "Hot cars, hot gals and John M. Studebaker". Would that have stimulated more interest?)
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 12-23-2010, 04:17 PM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Just your name as the poster probably generates the most interest for anyone that likes memorabilia!
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Great picture!

I'm getting more and more interested in Pre-war Studebaker's, not seeing that many of them anymore at any car shows. At last years La Palma meet, there was fewer than five. So I hope to change that by looking for some myself.

Comment

Great pic, Dick. I wonder if it was hard to find all those girls with pointed heads? The one on the floor, about to pounce, looks like the prototype for Dr. Frankenstein's assistant, Igor.

John
        Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 12-26-2010, 06:26 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
          Great pic, Dick. I wonder if it was hard to find all those girls with pointed heads? The one on the floor, about the pounce, looks like the prototype for Dr. Frankenstein's assistant, Igor.

John
          Now we can credit this Mexican Studebaker dealership for being the original motivation for NBC "Saturday Night Live" Cone Heads ....

sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Great piece of Studebaker history! I was wondering where the idea for the Coneheads originated, you live...you learn!!
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Richard; Thank goodness the present generation of young women are much prettier than this group. Even trying to impose myself in this era doesn't help one bit. John Studebaker is the best looking thing in the photo!!

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-W6
              1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Working...
              X