OD operation for the beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD operation for the beginner?

Finished welding the floors on the 60 Lark wgn. tonight (how-to with pics to come). Decided to take her for a spin- sitting on a wheel...

I've never had an OD before... tried it with the handle in, then out; didn't notice any difference...? She went to 65-70 mph easily both ways- didn't seem to be working too hard either way...

Is there something I need to do besides pull/push the handle? Which way is engaged- in or out?

In any case, LOVED finally getting a chance to take that first real spin after looking at it in the garage for 4 months [}]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Push it in, get up to about 30 MPH, let off the gas for a second, "click" you're in overdrive, floor it, should kick down. When stopped, pull the cable out, no OD. If you need to pull the cable out while moving, floor it while pulling the cable out.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Push it in, get up to about 30 MPH, let off the gas for a second, "click" you're in overdrive, floor it, should kick down. When stopped, pull the cable out, no OD. If you need to pull the cable out while moving, floor it while pulling the cable out.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
      64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert-63
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sorry, double post and the forum won't let me trash it.

Push it in, get up to about 30 MPH, ......................

JDP

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sorry, double post and the forum won't let me trash it.

Push it in, get up to about 30 MPH, ......................

JDP

JDP Maryland

Comment

Assuming it's functioning correctly and you live where it's relatively level, Robert, push the handle in while not in motion and leave it there. There's really no need for gladhanding that knob as a matter of everyday driving.
            With it in, the engine should freewheel when you're moving below 30MPH and you let off the gas. Above roughtly 30MPH - if you let off the gas, you should FEEL the engine start to act as a dynamic brake - as would be with a straight standard shift engine.
            I rarely pull the OD handle out for anything other than steep terrain. THERE, you WANT the engine's dynamic braking effect to help slow the vehicle while going down inclines.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Assuming it's functioning correctly and you live where it's relatively level, Robert, push the handle in while not in motion and leave it there. There's really no need for gladhanding that knob as a matter of everyday driving.
              With it in, the engine should freewheel when you're moving below 30MPH and you let off the gas. Above roughtly 30MPH - if you let off the gas, you should FEEL the engine start to act as a dynamic brake - as would be with a straight standard shift engine.
              I rarely pull the OD handle out for anything other than steep terrain. THERE, you WANT the engine's dynamic braking effect to help slow the vehicle while going down inclines.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Easy way to remember it, when the handle is in, you are in overdrive - when the handle is out, you are out of overdrive. It sounds like you have something not working in the overdrive unit. When you are in overdrive, you should freewheel when you take your foot off the gas in second or third. Overdrive does not engage in first, and when you shift to second you will be in second until you let up on the gas at over about 35 MPH. Then it will shift into second gear overdrive. When you shift to third, the same thing happens, you will be in third gear until you let up on the gas. When you press the pedal down, you will be in third gear overdrive. It sounds like your overdrive is not working properly. Look at the help page here:

It's a great unit when you get used to it - a five speed tranny! Always remeber to put it in reverse when you park!

Comment

Easy way to remember it, when the handle is in, you are in overdrive - when the handle is out, you are out of overdrive. It sounds like you have something not working in the overdrive unit. When you are in overdrive, you should freewheel when you take your foot off the gas in second or third. Overdrive does not engage in first, and when you shift to second you will be in second until you let up on the gas at over about 35 MPH. Then it will shift into second gear overdrive. When you shift to third, the same thing happens, you will be in third gear until you let up on the gas. When you press the pedal down, you will be in third gear overdrive. It sounds like your overdrive is not working properly. Look at the help page here:

It's a great unit when you get used to it - a five speed tranny! Always remeber to put it in reverse when you park!

Comment

Running around town? Stop and go? Keep the handle out. At speeds below 40 there is no fuel advantage to using overdrive, and it will require excessive use of your brakes.
                    If you're running in third gear and anticipate cruising for a while, you can push the handle in, let up on the pedal and feel it slide in to overdrive. To drop back in to third tromp the pedal. When in third, you can pull the handle out to prevent overdrive. This is desirable just before cresting the top of a mountain, as you do not want to be freewheeling down the other side, excessive brakes again.
                    Do not attempt to pull the handle out when you are in overdrive. Always drop to third before pulling the handle out. Second gear over is a great way to enter a freeway. You'll get used to it and love it.
                    Do not park the car forward in overdrive unless you have a good parking brake. I like to exercise my cable to keep it from freezing up.

It does sound like yours isn't working. You should definitely feel the difference with the lockout in or out.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Running around town? Stop and go? Keep the handle out. At speeds below 40 there is no fuel advantage to using overdrive, and it will require excessive use of your brakes.
                      If you're running in third gear and anticipate cruising for a while, you can push the handle in, let up on the pedal and feel it slide in to overdrive. To drop back in to third tromp the pedal. When in third, you can pull the handle out to prevent overdrive. This is desirable just before cresting the top of a mountain, as you do not want to be freewheeling down the other side, excessive brakes again.
                      Do not attempt to pull the handle out when you are in overdrive. Always drop to third before pulling the handle out. Second gear over is a great way to enter a freeway. You'll get used to it and love it.
                      Do not park the car forward in overdrive unless you have a good parking brake. I like to exercise my cable to keep it from freezing up.

It does sound like yours isn't working. You should definitely feel the difference with the lockout in or out.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Most overdrive users just leave the cable pushed in all the time. BUT! You must get in the habit of always putting the shifter in reverse when you park. Start thinking of reverse as 'Park' position. In any other gear, the car is in free-wheeling when stopped. i.e. no compression braking.

Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Most overdrive users just leave the cable pushed in all the time. BUT! You must get in the habit of always putting the shifter in reverse when you park. Start thinking of reverse as 'Park' position. In any other gear, the car is in free-wheeling when stopped. i.e. no compression braking.

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

All very true! Another thing to remember, if she stalls going up hill, yank that lever out immediately! Otherwise, it WILL roll backwards in gear!

I happen to live in the mountains. As such, there are a lot of roads that have a speed limit of 55 and a practical speed of 35 - 45. The practical speed is just a bit slow for third and too fast for second. Ah, but overdrive second is juuuust right in that range. I use my overdrive all the time. Not just for fuel savings. To save the motor and my nerves.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

All very true! Another thing to remember, if she stalls going up hill, yank that lever out immediately! Otherwise, it WILL roll backwards in gear!

I happen to live in the mountains. As such, there are a lot of roads that have a speed limit of 55 and a practical speed of 35 - 45. The practical speed is just a bit slow for third and too fast for second. Ah, but overdrive second is juuuust right in that range. I use my overdrive all the time. Not just for fuel savings. To save the motor and my nerves.

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X