PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting '50 Land Cruiser in 1/1/11 Auction (near Richmond, VA)

12-23-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure how he got my name, but an auctioneer in Powhatan, VA, a few miles west of Richmond sent me an email about his auction on New Year's Day. Consigned is what looks like a very original and decent '50 Land Cruiser. He attached some pictures, one which showed a Chevy-V8 engine. However in AuctionZip the picture was from the next vehicle in the portfolio, a customized Ford pickup. I pointed this out to him and this is the reply I got-
"You are correct about the engine photo. I attached that to the wrong emails. The odometer shows 74,161 miles and the owner says that is actual. It has the original flat head six cylinder engine and the owner was told that it has a Mercedes transmission (original). It has a six volt electrical system with what appears to be a positive ground. The cars run very good."
See pictures here- http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=756824&category=0&zip=&kwd=

Bob Andrews
12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
What a delicious car! Love the striped seats. Bet it does good money, Studebaker, 4dr, 6 banger and all.

Johnnywiffer
12-24-2010, 07:06 AM
I've always thot the dash on the '50 Commander/Land Cruiser was the prettiest dash in the postwar cars. The '52 Commander/Land Cruiser is next. All that "chrome" blinding you so you couldn't see until AFTER the accident. They even put chrome INSIDE the instrument dials along with the golden bullets. Some artist spent lotsa time because even the little gold, plastic 'Studebaker' looks modernistic (for the day).

I don't own a '50 but bought a '50 dash in SB a few years back, just so I'd have one. Someone said, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

He was right.

John