PDA

View Full Version : ChopStu: Taillight decision made and being executed

4961Studebaker
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
While after much deliberation, avoiding, and pouring over pictures, This is what I've decided I like for the project.

Many attempts have been done with the rear light treatment for a Lark, most of us have seen the pictures or own Larks with modified lights,
I by no means feel that my choice is the best choice, (will anyone? :)) but I think it works well for the project, It's a tough area to modify and have it look "right", especially to those that are used to seeing the wrap around stock style all these years.

While it may not be everyone's taste, I find it to be :
simple,
enhances the trunk line,
size of the light is proportional to the back panel.
And most of all....Bright LED to let everyone know I'm stopping or turning!!!!!
Lokar XL Led brake light. For those curious, it's no huge secret.

Just imagine the outer ring welded, body filled, then painted body color......I promise it won't appear to "stick out" as it may look to you.

As alway's I enjoy sharing as the project progresses and can't wait to be with you on the road.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7455.jpg

sweetolbob
12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I think I would french it in to avoid the bolted-on look. JMO

Keep posting, I'm enjoying watching the progress eventhough the to-go counter has disappeared. Can't hold you to a schedule we can't see.:rolleyes:

I like the total concept a lot.

Bob

DEEPNHOCK
12-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Has a touch of '61 Comet back there....
Sort of like a tadpole, before it all grew up:p:D:o:rolleyes:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAYX-0qVH_zwXHRL1Cs_ziQwqzfno8DmqyDL2csBEt1Fy-FXZV

JGK 940
12-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, Kev... it's not what I would do, but I can see what you're shooting for and I like it; particularly the extra care you have obviously taken to make the long axis of the new light run parallel to the accent line at the tailing edge of the fender and the bottom lip of the trunk lid. Good job. Looking forward to more progress pics. Thanks for posting.

P.S.: Now that Jeff's reminded me of the Comet (I kept trying to get you to put Edsel lights back there, IIRC) I wonder if it might not look even better with simple, round backup lights or amber turn signals tucked in under the slanting taillights in about the same spot as shown above. My $0.02, FWIW.

scott.rodgers
12-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Lookin' good!

FlatheadGeo
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I think.....very tastefully done!!!

Commander55
12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
It will look like cat-eyes. Nice touch!

BobGlasscock
12-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I think it will look good whether you do one of two ways. With the chrome bezel, I think it will look pretty and more Studebakerish. With the bezel painted, it will also look good and maybe blend in as modified. Way to go.

Andy R.
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Far be it for me to critique the man holding the grinder. I'm grateful for all your progress photos of your outstanding project. All the work and originality you accomplish makes mine seem small and easy by comparison. Keep us posted!

Jim B PEI
12-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Good Job! Well, I like it too. It gives it a cute rear 'face' and it is just right for the times--and less over the top than the 61 Comet and the 'I can't look away from the car crash' curved spine 60 Valiants. (I rather like them in a 'une belle laid' way now; the Dodge Lancers weren't as successful IMO because they weren't ugly-cute enough.)

StudeMichael
12-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Would look better level than at an angle.

junior
12-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Plain, simple, suits the bodyline...and the best part is they are different. I like them just the way they are. This is going to be one sharp Lark when you are done. Have you chosen a color yet...do you want to share that with us? No one will ever accuse this as being a 'cookie cutter' car. Killer wheel and tire combo btw. Awesome job! Junior.

barnlark
12-22-2010, 07:46 PM
You're going to like it when you're done!

StudeMichael
12-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Just make sure you don't do anything to the car that can't be easily undone in case the new owner is a purist and wants to return the car to stock.

StudeRich
12-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Ha, ha, that's a GOOD one Michael!! Lol! :D :D :D

That car was so far beyond that a long time ago. But when you build a Custom, you build it for yourself, and if the unexpected happens, oh well, you just lose.

Bob Andrews
12-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Progress is good, Keb'!

So, what happened to the countdown in your sig?<G>

ST2DE5
12-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Why not up side down 59 Chevy tail lights? That would fit the contour.

4961Studebaker
12-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Has a touch of '61 Comet back there....
Sort of like a tadpole, before it all grew up:p:D:o:rolleyes:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAYX-0qVH_zwXHRL1Cs_ziQwqzfno8DmqyDL2csBEt1Fy-FXZV

:D Hey....I don't look anything like my cousin.:p;);)
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/madboy.jpg
Image from the Internet

Today 07:03 PM
junior

Have you chosen a color yet...do you want to share that with us?

As a matter of fact I have......98.9% sure it will be a color called Blizzard Pearl.

Today 07:53 PM
StudeMichael

Just make sure you don't do anything to the car that can't be easily undone in case the new owner is a purist and wants to return the car to stock.
;)Now that made me laugh, Rest assured much like some Model T owners save the removed pieces from the pillars......I kept these pieces as well. Just incase, I mean you never know...... ;)

Bob Andrews

So, what happened to the countdown in your sig?<G>

I accidentally deleted the dancing guy when updating the signature pic.
Sad thing concerning the countdown........The paint and interior bids came back a little higher than I thought.....Sooooo I may not hit my deadline. : (
I have expensive taste :o

StudeMichael

Would look better level than at an angle.

Then you would like this....tried them this way, problem is, much like stock lights, the further out to the panel edge you go,....
The light would need a flat base, and a spear built down the side to blend in......hard to tell in pics, but imagine when you see headlights going down the highway the beams going in oposite directions. Those concave panels are more deceiving than they appear.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_7278.jpg
barnlark

You're going to like it when you're done!

ABSOLUTELY :cool:

woodysrods
12-22-2010, 10:55 PM
I like the last picture best. Angled tail lights are a hard thing to pull off on any vehicle. Car is definitely clean, mean and "Will" make a statement! Not that it isn't already.
Good Roads
Brian

StudeMichael
12-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Glad I made you laugh,,,I of course was playing around about not doing anything that could not be undone. I do like the tail lights better in the recently posted picture. Resembling stock but still custom is rather retro.

JRoberts
12-23-2010, 08:04 AM
I really like the shape of those tail lights, the shape reminds me of a '49-'50 Ford. I also like them at an angle. I think it gives some personality to the rear end that having them horizontal doesn't. The progress you are making on this Lark is incredible. I love watching every step you post. Thanks for keep us up to date.

4961Studebaker
12-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I really like the shape of those tail lights, the shape reminds me of a '49-'50 Ford. I also like them at an angle. I think it gives some personality to the rear end that having them horizontal doesn't.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/chopstureardrawing.jpg
I actually tried some 49 Ford tail lights they were one suggestion from the artist, (Jimmysmithhotroddesigns).
but they looked too small...scale wise when held up on the panel.
Thus an alternative search began.
As you can tell....the louvers in the trunk, and license plate panel didn't make the final cut. :)
I alway's appreciate the responses, comments, the horizontal bezels pictured above just show that I shared similar thought's as a few of you.
Slanted won the day ultimately because horizontal were too reminiscent of the original position.
And this whole project is about changing/creating a new personality and look.

Time to let it fade away for awhile, everyone have a Merry Christmas and Holiday season.

Did anyone pick up on the tease signature photo that was up for a couple day's? (not the one now)
I know you guy's don't miss any detail....just checking.

Peanut
01-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I like your choice to angle the lights. I've got a '59 Lark that will be completely redone before it hits the road again -- which will be far too many years away for my taste! Anyway, I plan to re-do the taillight area as well, but I just can't stand to do away with the taillight blister. My solution will be equally unique, but since I don't want anybody else using it, you'll just have to wait until it is done to see it. :>)

cycledog
01-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I like um angled..looks great. Some times it's the little things that make the biggest difference.