Clear All

• Customized 81 Avanti

I found this today on CL.
    I know that its not purely Stude related , but "interesting "
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

The fender flairs are not too bad, but, the Linclon grille is not to my likeing.
    That said....it's his car and he probably likes it and that's just fine with me, and I hope this doesn't turn into a car bashing thread like so many in the past.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I wonder how much it would cost to make the front end look like an Avanti.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'll give him an A for effort.
        Very interesting...I like the friont fender treatment and fender flares, sorta like the grille....but it's still not as clean an the original front.

No harm, no foul, on an Avanti II.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

If a Newman Altman Avanti is not a Studebaker related post then some one is missing the boat,after Studebaker closed their doors they were the major Studebaker people, if it was not for them where would we be today? people knock the Avanti ll a little to much in some respects they were better than the 63-64 Avantis if you have not tried one don't knock one. this one posted might make them turn over in their grave . owner of a 67 and love it.

the kids loved their ride on the salt at 100 mph
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Interesting custom. Looks like it is well done but IMHO he ruined the best part of the car. I'd like to see more pictures from different angles. I wonder if the back was left alone.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I like the grill looks like it will help with any type of overheating problem.

Comment

An '81 Avanti II had a 300 HP 350 cu in? Hmmm. I have considered grafting a different
                front end treatment onto an Avanti ... just this isnt it.

I think to soften up the fender extensions much like it would have evolved had Stude not
                gone out of business would be nice. Look at an 80s Mustang compared to a first Gen to
                see what I mean.... That's the baseline we have to go by.

vs

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I like the Avanti design as-is, but I do give the guy credit...it looks like a professionally done job, though not to my liking. I doubt if he'll ever get the asking price...customs of any car are rarely of value to anyone but the person who had it done. If it was a custom by someone like George Barris or some other provenance, it might have value, but what Avanti aficionado would be interested in that for other than at a cheap purchase price for curiosity sake?
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

"I wouldn't have done it quite that way..."
                    Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Love Customs, but the initial shock effect when the picture came up on the screen told me immediately what my true thoughts were on this styling attempt. Normally I am very open minded.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I like the concept. But, then I'm partial top red Avanti IIs, customized to the owners' liking. Not to bash, but it needs the park switch on the wipers fixed, and could sure use some new chrome on the taillight housings. Otherwise, it looks nicely done. I would really like to see more pics.
                        Jim Bradley
                        Lake Monticello, VA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          I hope this doesn't turn into a car bashing thread like so many in the past.
                          Me too, bez.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I like the look of the front end. I wish, however, care for the Lincoln badge left on the grill. I like the fender flairs and the headlight treatment a lot.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                            X