28K mile 1955 Packard 400 Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28K mile 1955 Packard 400 Hardtop

Sounds High till you think what any 28k newer car sells for.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Hope you don't mind this anecdote. In 1959 a frat brother had inherited his deceased father's identical car except it was coral? and ivory. He said that his dad had been a union official at Studebaker and he felt the stress had been very taxing. Three of us shared the same off-campus pad on W. Jackson in Muncie. I always had morning classes so I could go to work at 1:00PM. As I left one morning there was the Packard sitting in the middle of the street with cars going by on both sides of it with the morning traffic! The beverages must have been such that he made it home and retired for what was left of the night. I woke Dick up and told him that he might want to move his car before it was towed away. I don't suggest approval of DUI, but I smile when I recall it. The photo reminded me of the incident. He now lives in CA and has been a real asset to his profession.
    Last edited by Bob Bryant; 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Hey, Bob

Just a guess. Is your friend Dick a winetaster in Napa Valley?

Comment

That's some amazing detailing on the motor. It almost doesn't look real.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

..and it has the Studebaker delete option: No Battery Hold-down Device!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
            ..and it has the Studebaker delete option: No Battery Hold-down Device!
            Thank goodness someone mentioned that! (And for $29,900 BIN, I would hope for a correct Group 60 battery, too, as well as the proper hold-down for it.)

Truly a gorgeous car.

Battery group and hold-down notwithstanding, if it really is that nice, it is a bargain at $29,900. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by stude53 View Post
              Hey, Bob

Just a guess. Is your friend Dick a winetaster in Napa Valley?
              Could that be why his feet are purple?
              Those grapes have to be stomped!
              Last edited by Bob Bryant; 12-20-2010, 02:02 PM.
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Truly a gorgeous car. Seems odd to call a car that size a coupe!
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

It is good to see that they know how to properly display/picture a hardtop - with all of its windows open.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X