Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY FIRST Studebaker - 1959 Silver Hawk [PICS]

Hello All!

My name is Shaun and I've purchased my very first Studebaker. To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about these cars. Before getting into my research, I wanted to introduce myself and my new baby, a 1959 Silver Hawk.

The car needs a new battery and alternator- but runs strong. The body also has minor rust on the surface panels and needs a new paint job.

Please feel free to offer ANY ADVICE that might be helpful to me. I don't think I will be doing a ground up restoration considering the market value of these cars, but I want to at least get the engine tuned up and work on the paint.

Also, in place of the RPM gauge is a strange device that looks like a sonar or something? It's a round outline with a cross through it. Any ideas?

Also, where do you recommend for parts? I need new seals around the whole car and one glass needs to be replaced. Are there any crossover parts from other models that will work on this year?

Thanks much and am looking forward to having a lot of fun with you all!

Shaun

Hi Shaun, Welcome! The strange sonar thing is a blank where the optional clock would go. You can install a tach there if you want, they're the same size. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club if you haven't already. Excellent monthly magazine with tech articles and ads from many vendors as well as individuals. Many parts will interchage beween '53 and '64, some up to '66. Good luck and have fun!
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I believe that "sonar" is a blank plate used for cars ordered without a tach.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shaun--

Welcome to the forum and to Studedom...your taste in first Studes is admirable. Yes, get this lovely old Hawk in the best mechanical shape you can...wax, don't replace, that (original 1959?) paint...then get behind the wheel and enjoy! Sure it'd look superb in fresh paint, but there's just something about a "survivor" car--especially from the tailfin era--gliding smoothly into a cruise-in or car show that's unmatched even by a megabuck restoration. Gives that timewarp feeling.

I'll leave the mechanical advice to the tons of SDCers on the forum who have miles more of that knowledge than I do, other than to say that you should have little trouble finding most parts. Stude didn't change what they couldn't afford to, and as a result their long-wheelbase coupes actually have some commonality from 1953 all the way through 1964...oh, and if you haven't yet joined SDC and a local chapter...do both, posthaste, you won't regret it a second.

Cheers

Steve T (a tad envious!)

Comment

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase of a fine Studebaker. First glances appear that you have done very well. The interior looks highly original, and I bet the exterior color was originally Tahiti Coral. Studebakers in those years used generators, instead of alternators on their regular line of passenger cars, and are readily available or rebuilt. That 'target' delete is correct for that car, and an optional clock went in that space.

Craig

Comment

I'm sure I will be one of many that recommend you join the Studebaker Drivers Club and look for a local chapter also. As you get involved you will meet people with amazing knowledge of Studebakers. You will also be surprised at how easy it is to get most parts you need.

It looks like you got a great car to start with. With your SDC membership comes a subscription to Turning Wheels, our club magazine. It's a great publication and chock full of interesting and useful information.

Welcome to our world. If you didn't know this already - Studebaker Invented Cool....
            Last edited by Sdude; 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

WElcome to the Studebaker World. There is a great active Chapter down in San Diego.
              San Diego Chapter, San Diego. Meets the 2nd Thurs., 7 p.m., Allied Gardens Rec Center, 5155 Greenbriar Ave., San Diego. Call for info: 619-697-6971 Please visit our website at www.studebakersandiego.com
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

Shaun,
                Congratulations on the purchase of your beautiful Studebaker. Actually, you've already bought yourself the best Christmas gift. Have fun and welcome to the world of Studebaker.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Welcome, Shaun; yours is a pretty car!

Even though you didn't tell us, we know it is a 180 HP 259 V-8. 180 HP because it has a single exhaust, and a V-8 because it has wheel opening moldings (assuming it is original). Six-cylinder 1959 Hawks did not have wheel opening moldings; V-8s did.

You asked about parts sources. You'll find many vendors in Turning Wheels. The largest is Studebaker International in Greenfield IN. However, to save on shipping, you'll probably first want to try Studebakers West, up the coast in Redwood City CA.

'Looks like you are already hooked up with local SDC Chapter contacts. There are plenty of Studebaker folks in your immediate area, and your 1959 Silver Hawk will be welcomed into any group of them. BP
                  Last edited by BobPalma; 12-19-2010, 03:40 AM.
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Also check this out time after time. There might be something you need.

Comment

Welcome! All of the above has been great advise. I would probably echo what Steve T said. You can paint this car down the road a year or so from know once you have a chance to get to know it better.
                      The Forum is a "FAST" place to get a ton of advice as you can already see.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      PS Beautiful Car! Great Choice! We have a 56 Power Hawk and a 61 Hawk! Love C/K cars!
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Welcome, Shaun!

You made a great choice! It looks like an original car. In many respects the 259 engine is the one I would wish for, as the bore and stroke are equal, with resultant less cylinder wear over the long haul. All the above advice you have received, and belonging to a local chapter and the national SDC has been a very worthwhile experience for everyone
                        The C body (pillared coupe) is more rigid than the K body (pillar-less hardtop), and in my estimation, much more rattle-free. This is probably an inland CA car, with minimal rust. I have 3 289's and one 259 in my Studes, and all are almost bullet proof! San Diego has a great chapter, http://studebakersandiego.com/ as does Orange Empire and Los Angeles and Beach Cities. There may be more than one chapter in the San Diego area. Congratulations!

At least you don't have to put up with snow! Jack Weber, Anaconda, Montana

sigpic
                        Jack, in Montana

Comment

I'll echo what everyone has already said; welcome to the madness, and beautiful car! I'm a little biased torwards '59 Silverhawks; as that is where my forum name comes from. My grandpa's favorite Stude was a '59 Silverhawk; although I have yet to own one myself (Key word is YET, although I have no idea when.....)
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Welcome Shaun

I also own a 59 Silver Hawk. Mine is a 6 cylinder with 3spd overdrive.

Nice looking Hawk you have there. Have fun with it.

Comment

Believe others have already addressed your questions, so I'll simply say:

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X