• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend Lathe, which turned the Stude 'GT' hubs

Here are a couple pictures of the South Bend Lathe that was used to
    turn the Studebaker hubs down to fit inside the GT rotors in the first
    stage of my Mustang brake install. I thought it was fitting that a
    lathe made in South Bend would be used many years later to modify an
    old Studebaker part(This step isnt needed with the larger Cobra rotor).

To refresh your memories :

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

I talked to the shop supervisor and he says that the lathe was made
    in 1965, so it was never used at Studebaker in Indiana.

I just thought all would appreciate the connection.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I talked to the shop supervisor and he says that the lathe was made
      in 1965, so it was never used at Studebaker in Indiana.

I just thought all would appreciate the connection.

Tom

Comment

cool picture! thanks for posting it, sorry if we just gawked at it with no reply

Randy_G
        1959 Lark Sedan
        This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

cool picture! thanks for posting it, sorry if we just gawked at it with no reply

Randy_G
          1959 Lark Sedan
          This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Just received an auction notice for South Bend Lathe this morning. They are auctioning the entire contents on Bendix Ave. in South Bend.
            Is this the end of South Bend Lathe?
            sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Just received an auction notice for South Bend Lathe this morning. They are auctioning the entire contents on Bendix Ave. in South Bend.
              Is this the end of South Bend Lathe?
              sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

It may be the end for them if they are not long gone already, Dennis Lambert has been quoted as saying the South Bend Lathe building is scheduled to be torn down next.

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It may be the end for them if they are not long gone already, Dennis Lambert has been quoted as saying the South Bend Lathe building is scheduled to be torn down next.

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X