Trans mount for Muncie 4 speed in Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans mount for Muncie 4 speed in Lark

I'm still collecting parts for my SBC swap but am getting closer (Sorry Purists!). I got the Chevybaker front mounts and now need to figure out what to do for the trans mount. I'm going to be doing a 327 Chevy with a Muncie 4 speed (think '65 Chevelle wrapped in a '62 Lark). Has anyone done a Muncie in a Lark? Will the trans crossmember from a '65-'66 Studbeaker work? I'm looking for something that may at least get me part way there as opposed to fabricating from scratch. Thanks for any help.

The 65 and 66 used a GM mount, so IF it is the same between sticks and automatics you just need to use the 65-66 X member and the stock mount.

(This is a GM question )

Comment

No I have not done that, however I see no reason why the '65-'66 crossmember would not work fine.
      Depending of course on how close the Borg Warner T-86 tailshaft mounting holes line up with Muncie ones.

There is a flat plate welded on the round tube crossmember that is easy to extend a bit, and drill the holes where needed, I have heard of it being done for a T-10.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a T-10 in my 66. Used the stock GM mount as Rich said & cut an old Jeep CJ front bumper & used it for the bracket extention on the crossmember. I would think the Muncie would have about the same dimentions.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Are you in need of a 65-66 crossmember?

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
            I'm still collecting parts for my SBC swap but am getting closer (Sorry Purists!). I got the Chevybaker front mounts and now need to figure out what to do for the trans mount. I'm going to be doing a 327 Chevy with a Muncie 4 speed (think '65 Chevelle wrapped in a '62 Lark). Has anyone done a Muncie in a Lark? Will the trans crossmember from a '65-'66 Studbeaker work? I'm looking for something that may at least get me part way there as opposed to fabricating from scratch. Thanks for any help.
            Dougie.....The 65/66 mount will work, been there, done that....You will have to extend the mount (center piece) forward approx 2" to pick up the trans mount on a Muncie....Good luck....Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Rich.....If he dosen't need one, I need one.....PM me ......Thanks John

Comment

private message sent.

Comment

Rich I might need one if I can not find one of my old ones, I know I gave one to Dick Stiankamp when he was doing the 63 Daytona he got from Biggs....Bob
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

I have a 64 Lark with 350 and a 700R4 and only needed to lengthen the slots for where the transmission mounted thru on the 65-66 trans crossmember.

Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Just following up on this post . Had several leads, but they either disappeared before I got them or the seller decided to keep it "just in case". I had previously sent an email to Studebaker International and out of the blue got a response from Jim. They gave me a great price on a NOS 65-66 mount. Still had the tags on it along with a coat of light surface rust (didn't paint them in those days I guess). I kind of hated to disturb it from it's 46 year rest, but submerged it in Evapo Rust and it came out looking brand new. Many thanks to Jim at SI for finding one for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X