Got emergency brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got emergency brakes?

Been a lot on here about disc brakes,and now dual master cylinders are back also. I guess
    EVERYONE has emergency brakes, RIGHT ?

Yup, and I use it even with modern automatics. Could never understand why some people never used them with autos. Have a friend who never uses one, and so the the PB always seizes up...and explained without success several times how a parking pawl can slip or break.

Comment

Nope! Floor is rotted and the front brake cable has no place to mount. It's on the list! Got everything zip tied up so it won't drag.

Comment

Yes, I "have" one. I need to get it on one of my dad's lifts and adjust the rear brakes for it actually works.....
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Every car I have the parking brake works. One of those things you insist on when you grew up near Pittsburgh. Oddly the one on my last company car gave me the most trouble of any ('05 Impala) it would go out of adjustment between oil changes. I use the park brake religiously every time I park a car.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Still don't have a working one in 63' Cruiser w/ discs..Dave T-bow claims the same..

Comment

Mine is not-functional on the '63 Daytona... I assume that handle under the dash should just pull towards me? Or do I need to twist it or something?

Comment

Ron, the handle should be horizontal when the e-brake is disengaged. Pull it straight toward you and it will ratchet out to "applied' position. Quarter-turn clockwise and push forward to release.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

No.
                  Dang it.
                  There's a handle on the dash of the ole 52, but it pulls right out. No cables at all. One of those projects that I figured could wait. But I should do something.
                  Lets turn this thread into tech. Who knows a good setup for modified cars. Maybe even somethig that applies on the driveshaft?

Comment

I have a Lokar floor setup going to the Right Stuff disc brake kit on my MoPar 8 3/4. The E-brake is cable operated and manually works the rear calipers which are 70s Cadillac units.
                    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

Sounds like a good idea Michidan . Lets do some tech posts. Alex "you first" sounds like you got one
                      of intrest there. Maybe we can see some on different years, modified and Original.

Comment

Also remember, IF you have "my" rear disc brakes, GM recommends that the E-Brake is set when parked. This is to help keep the rear discs adjusted.

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                        X