51 Commander Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Commander Speedometer

On the way home from Omaha last year, my speedometer broke. I have all the parts to fix it, but I can't figure out how to get the indicator needle off. I don't want to force it, but it has to come off for me to remove the faceplate. How do I get this off without wrecking it?

I've never worked on a '51 Commander speedo, but on every other speedo and tach I've worked on, the needle just pressed onto the shaft. Sometimes they're rather tight, but I've always been able to remove them with my fingers. If they're really tight, try placing a soft cloth on the face, grasp the needle between your pointing finger and thumb with the fingertips against the face and then pinch them together. This action puts quite a bit of force on the needle, hence the cloth to protect the face. If you have have fingernails like Fu Man Chu, you might want to trim them lest they dig through the clothv and skin up the face.

Comment

The needle should be a press fit. I use a pair of tweezers that are bent at a 45. Place the tweezers around the shaft and under the needle. Squeeze the tweezers close to the shaft and then rotate the handle of the tweezers down, utilizing the leverage of the tweezers to pull the needle.
      Russ (ex aircraft instrument technician when sex was safe and flying was dangerous)

quote:Originally posted by whacker

On the way home from Omaha last year, my speedometer broke. I have all the parts to fix it, but I can't figure out how to get the indicator needle off. I don't want to force it, but it has to come off for me to remove the faceplate. How do I get this off without wrecking it?
      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Thanks for the help, I did this yesterday. Had to go out and buy a small bent point needlenose pliers to get under and pry it loose. It worked, though!

Comment

Working...
        X