Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Related to last post - advice on oil leak

Folks,

I'm new to the Studebaker world and appreciate y'alls' cumulative knowledge and experience on these great cars and trucks. Can you all tell me if I'm on the right track troubleshooting this oil leak or is there some arcane Studebaker lore known only to the cognoscenti that I'm overlooking?

My '49 2R5 truck with the Champ six has a persistent oil leak from the back of the engine. Once parked, the truck immediately begins dripping oil from the rear cross member and doesn't stop no matter how long it is parked. The engine is oil-wet on the driver's side around the distributor and the oil filter; however, it doesn't seem to be enough to account for all the oil on the ground. The oil drain plug on the pan is not leaking, nor is the oil pressure gauge line.

I think the rear main seal is bad and needs replacing. However, would that explain the persistent leak over time? Is there an oil gallery somewhere up in the block that holds a fair amount of oil and could be leaking it out past the rear main (or some other seal?)? Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mike "Magnum" Harm

Bil Cathcart has been very helpful to me. His phone number is 860-564-5852

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
    X